Best Way To Redo 7000 Sq Ft Of Lawn - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RRH
  • 1 Post By joemc3
  • 1 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By joemc3

Old 05-02-2017, 01:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 417

Best way to redo 7000 sq ft of lawn

Hi,

The front and back lawn (close to 7,000 sq ft total) of my residence is full of weeds after the recent pouring rain for over several months that finally stopped couple of weeks ago. It took me a while to mow it down but now I wonder what the best and most effective way to kill remaining weeds to redo the lawn.

Option 1: Place black sheet to cover 7000 sq ft of the lawn area and wait til' all remaining weeds are dead.

Option 2: Get a tiller to dig up remaining weeds.

Option 3: Mow the remaining all the way down. Is that good enough to reseed?

Thanks.

Last edited by joemc3; 05-02-2017 at 01:35 AM.
joemc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,354

Re: Best way to redo 7000 sq ft of lawn

Option 4
Spray with roundup. ( not the extended control)

This is what it was originally designed for. To kill all vegetation and reseed after a week.
It is absorbed thru the leaf blades and then kills from the roots up.

Your other options would not kill all the roots.

But of course any type of tilling will loosen the soil and be better for planting. But just rent a core areator.
STBarett likes this.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,304

Rule of thumb is if your lawn is 50% or more weeds and/or undesired grasses, kill it and start over. If less than 50%, you might get by with weed killer, fertilizer and seeding.

My first step would be a soil test.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #4

It's 80% weed.

My question was which was the best way to kill. Don't really want to use Roundup/chemicals... . Which other option would get the closest result... .
donste2010 likes this.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,746

Ayuh,..... Pave it,.... No more mowin',......
ZTMAN likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 116

If you want to go the no-chemical route your Option 1 is probably the best of the three but I don't know how long you would have to leave it down. The other two options won't likely work; your probably couldn't til deep enough to turn up deep-rooted weeds and close mowing will just create the ideal environment for weed growth.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:47 AM   #7

If I'm going to get new sod instead of reseed would that help in preventing weeds if I do option 2 (till)?

Comparing the cost of the black sheets vs. new sod to see which option is more cost-effective... . The new lawn is likely reduced to 5000 sq feet to save some water as I'll do some plants/pavements in some areas.
donste2010 likes this.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,304

Quote:
If I'm going to get new sod instead of reseed would that help in preventing weeds if I do option 2 (till)?
No. Contrary to popular belief, laying sod takes just as much prep work to ensure a good job as throwing seed.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 380

Point to consider since you have still not got past the first step of how to kill the weeds. I know this is a DIY site, but I would tally up the cost for you to do the job RIGHT. Materials, equipment , etc. There will be rental equipment involved.

Then, get a price from a few reputable landscapers. I think you will find the cost to hire a landscaper wont be much different than you doing the work yourself. They have the equipment and can by the materials at a reduced cost.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #10

Where I live the cost to hire landscaper for work like this has doubled in the past 3 years. It'd probably cost me close to 3k now for this work to hire a landscaper.

Last edited by joemc3; 05-03-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #11
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemc3 View Post
It's 80% weed.

My question was which was the best way to kill. Don't really want to use Roundup/chemicals... . Which other option would get the closest result... .
Black plastic sheathing, if you want to live with that for a couple of weeks.

Of course still will not kill a lot of the roots.
Then till lawn and sod. The sod is thick enough that it will crowd out the weeds for awhile.
Then every few years repeat, since you don't won't to use weed control.

If not going to use weed control. Or not going to repeat the above every few years. Then just leave it the way it is, so not to waste the money.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRH View Post
Black plastic sheathing, if you want to live with that for a couple of weeks.

Of course still will not kill a lot of the roots.
Then till lawn and sod. The sod is thick enough that it will crowd out the weeds for awhile.
Then every few years repeat, since you don't won't to use weed control.

I didn't want use chemical to kill everything that's a lot stronger than just weed control. Using weed control to keep the new grass from infested by weeds is totally fine.

When my neighbor hired a landscaper, what the landscaper did was just used tiller to loosen up the dirt/old grass, removed old grass/weeds with a rake, added new nutrient and mixed w/ soil, leveled the soil, and put new sod in.

The landscaper did not even use black sheets... . I'm sure he charged a lot.

This page suggested a more natural way to kill grass/weeds not sure how effective it is:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/homemad...ler-49535.html

"For a tougher weed and grass killer, combine 1 tablespoon of 20 percent vinegar, 1 tablespoon of gin, 1 quart of water and 1 teaspoon of dish soap. This mixture kills the above-ground and below-ground portions -- including roots -- of the weeds."

If I used this above method to kill grass/weeds, and followed what the landscaper did for the preparation w/o black sheets, and reseed instead of new sod, then it's fairly low cost. Of course then I'd need to keep removing weeds as they come up alongside the grass the first month or two as the new grass is springing up until new grass is plenty enough? That'd be some kind of work. Use weed control after new grass comes up to keep weeds in control.

Last edited by joemc3; 05-04-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRH View Post
Option 4
Spray with roundup. ( not the extended control)

This is what it was originally designed for. To kill all vegetation and reseed after a week.
It is absorbed thru the leaf blades and then kills from the roots up.

Your other options would not kill all the roots.

But of course any type of tilling will loosen the soil and be better for planting. But just rent a core areator.
This guy saved me a post but I would say make sure to use Glyphosate. If it doesn't have that it isn't going to kill everything it touches. Kill everything and start over.
STBarett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement