Best Way To Get Rid Of Clovers? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree19Likes

Old 05-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 274

Best way to get rid of clovers?

I've been working on getting the grass to come in thicker and fill empty spots throughout a yard largely with a great deal of success. I'm told clovers is one of the more difficult to get rid of weeds. It's not terrible, but it's pretty wide spread in our yard. I've had success with Scott's Weed and Feed in the past but that doesn't seem to have helped this time. I believe we have a fescue kind of grass. Any suggestions on the kind of treatments I should use? I think part of the reason it's flourished is because we've had a ton of rain since April and not a lot of sunny days in a row. Which I was told when you put weed killer of any kind it's best when it's sunny for a few days to really "bake" the weeds. I don't know if that's true, but it seems like the longer without rain the better once putting that on so it doesn't rinse off or get quickly diluted. Thanks!
bluegrassliving is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,328

Re: Best way to get rid of clovers?

Quote:
weeds
Sorry, clover is not a weed. It is a legume and absorbs nitrogen from the air and fixes it to its roots, fertilizing the soil below it. Quite beneficial, except for yard of the month clubs.

Too bad it is messing up your lawn dreams, but you won't be able to get rid of it using "weed" control methods. Check with your local county extension service to see what they would recommend to help control it. It may take a soil sample or two to get them to accurately do their job, but it is worth it.
Bondo and CodeMatters like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,652

Dig out every clover plant and replant them in my yard. A mix of grass
and clover is my favourite.

Anyone want all my dandelions?
Bondo, Msradell, lenaitch and 2 others like this.
CodeMatters is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #4

Ha, well I don't mind them here and there. I just don't want it turning into a sea of clover and less grass. Sounds like the best thing is to just fertilize the grass to help it get nice and thick and therefore balancing things out better between grass and clover.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 152

If they are four leaf clovers, leave them alone, and consider yourself lucky!
Bondo likes this.
JBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,726

@bluegrassliving

Clover can be a weed, as Chong from Cheech and Chong said so memorably [an Oedipal expletive]!

2 4 D can work but it’s tough.

If you have a dense stand maybe dig out what you can

Not easy as Chong duly noted
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 576

Post #2 has good info. Ask if soil pH adjustments can retard clover (what type do you have) and not affect the lawn to any great degree.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassliving View Post
Ha, well I don't mind them here and there. I just don't want it turning into a sea of clover and less grass. Sounds like the best thing is to just fertilize the grass to help it get nice and thick and therefore balancing things out better between grass and clover.
If the clover has gotten so thick it's displaced a lot of grass, consider digging it out. It's not easy to get rid of, but it can be done. It will be a real test of resolve, like many Wars against Weeds.

I remember decades ago when I did lawn work and my helpers and I helped a couple get rid of the clover in their lawn, by a combination of pulling, and applications of 2 4 D weedkiller. Glyphosate will also do it, though it'll kill grass too.

Below is a link, yeah it's an ad, but there's other brands, too.

https://www.scotts.com/en-us/library...over-your-lawn
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #9
Alex

Rewards Points: 36

What color are the flowers when the clover blossoms? That will let you know the Ph it likes and that can help get rid of it.

Clover is recommended and is in some grass seed mixtures on purpose because it makes the grass grow better and will not compete with grass. My bet is if the grass isn't growing and is fading out, it's other conditions, grass will happily grow up through clover and do the better for it. You may need amendments like pelletized gypsum or lime, or some such, to make the grass happier. You should be able to get help here on figuring out that too! Keep responding.

Grass WILL outcompete clover though, fix those issues and the grass will take care of the clover by blocking it's sun.

Personally, my issue is white clover because the grass in back is sparse (or nonexistent) in places. So far I found I have clay soil (gypsum and fulvic acid, as well as organic matter and tilling the empty spaces to fix). I've yet to test the pH or other factors.
AlWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
Naildriver

Quote:
Grass WILL outcompete clover though
Nyet.

This is my front acreage. It is 90% white dutch clover. Some grass, but it takes over grass and forms a low growing "lawn". I know it isn't for most folks, but it is green.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to get rid of clovers?-20190617_160140.jpg  
Bondo and DoomsDave like this.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
Alex

Rewards Points: 36

I think grass would still outcompete it, maybe, if conditions were better for grass. not positive on that though.
https://dengarden.com/gardening/Clover-Lawns

I just bought 10# of red clover myself to seed in with my grass to improve the soil.

I remember a patch of clover in our large lawn as a kid. The softest place to sit in the yard.
chandler48 likes this.
AlWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:29 PM   #12
Naildriver

I got crazy one year and sowed a 5 acre field on my cattle farm with Crimson Clover. As it matured my cows were pressing on the adjacent fencing to try and get into the field. It had a super sweet wafting smell. I harvested it as hay, baled it and put it in the barn, then cut the cows loose on the stubble. Like a stampede. I had to drive them to water or they would die of thirst staying in the stubble field. The clover was so light that you could pick up two bales and hold them at shoulder height with no problem.
Bondo and jbrah like this.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 600

I would look for a pre-emergent spray and apply it earlier in the year before the clover begins to grow. It should be applied when the soil temperatures reach 55 degrees, which is when clover begins to germinate. This timing can vary depending on where you live, but is usually April-May. Contact your local ag extension office for more help with pre-emergent application timing.Clover also does better than the grasses when there is not enough nitrogen in the soil.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 7,612

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
I got crazy one year and sowed a 5 acre field on my cattle farm with Crimson Clover.

I thought that was just a song.
chandler48 likes this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #15

Hey guys, sorry for not responding to this thread for a while. I wasn't getting email notifications for some reason...

Anyways, thanks for all of the feedback. Things have been super slammed and we've had a ton of rain so I've barely had anytime to fertilize, weed, or anything and haven't really tried to further address the clover or other issues in the lawn. I'm posting a picture here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RztkSHn1WAbgsdVd8

I'm honestly not as concerned about the clover. It is a white clover when it flowers. I would like to not have any, but it's not dominante really anywhere, so the Scott's Weed and Feed seems to have helped with that. But I do have another weed you'll see in the picture. I'm not really sure what it is, and it doesn't seem to have responded much to anything I spray on it. Do you guys know what it is and how I should be treating it? I just have a general Scott's weed killer spray that in the past has always been effective and certainly got rid of dandelions or other apparent weeds but has had less success on these small leafy things that seem pretty frequent in my front yard, but not so much in the back. Thanks again everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement