Best Plan For Uneven Zoysia Sod? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,174

Best plan for uneven zoysia sod?

We had the house built a year and a half ago. Everything but the sod has been great. It wasn't laid very effectively. There were gaps around some of the sections. The grass is otherwise healthy.

So I'm wondering, how to best 'fill in' those gaps?

I'm thinking along the lines of ordering up a yard of decent top soil and using that to fill in the gaps. That and perhaps use that to also raise up a section that's a bit low. That section seems to have been laid on too little soil underneath of it. The grass grew fine but the ground feel noticeably harder to walk on.

I'd be prepared to make it an on-going process. But I've read conflicting advice online (no surprise there) regarding doing this for zoysia.

Any pros/cons/proof? Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,434

Who graded and sodded the yard, can they be held responsible.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 12:25 AM   #3
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
Who graded and sodded the yard, can they be held responsible.?
That's not going to happen. That and even if I did have the fumbling idiots back I'd still need my question answered to tell them what I want done.
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 58

I've never grown Zoysiagrass that far north but it looks like Zoysia japonica is adapted to MD. I'm assuming that's the species you have.

I think your plan is a good one. Adding the soil will allow the surface to be even when the Zoysia spreads via stolons.

Were you going to add soil on top of existing grass? If so, that's called topdressing and you should be careful to not add too much at one time or it will smother the grass below. Wait until it's actively growing, add an inch, let it grow through and come back with another inch. Also don't do you last one so late in the year that it can't recover.

If the soil below where you add new soil on is compacted and hard, new roots tend to not like changes in soil texture so may not penetrate the old, compacted stuff for a while. It's always better to mix the two layers a little where they interface... not a lot, just enough to break the top layer of soil below and let the new soil fall into the holes.
BradMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
Bill Kearney

Yes, that's likely the species, it's what we had on the lot before we tore the old place down and built new. I like the look & feel of the turf when it's in season. The tan dormant stage doesn't bother me. We had occasion to remove an old stone walkway from the old lawn. So I'm familiar with how Zoysia extends itself via those roots instead of seeding.

The soil below was entirely disturbed during construction. They did distribute a fair bit of "topsoil" over the clay-ridden mess that comprises the soil around here. I'd have had them apply more but you turn your back on contractors for a day... and well, you know the story. The old lawn was from the 1950's so I know it'll take quite some time to get back to that same level of feel to the turf.

Any suggestions on the type of soil and/or conditioner to use for the top-dressing?

I've read conflicting measurements on how much to apply. I was planning on letting the Spring growth get under way. I was thinking of doing it about 1/2" at a time but if an inch works that gets me farther along in the process. Assuming good weather conditions (and regular watering) what might be the typical length of time between layers? Or should it just be a matter of when I see "enough" of the grass growing through?

Last edited by wkearney99; 03-03-2015 at 02:20 PM.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #6

I would agree that less is better when doing top dressing but I know some people are impatient. I've gotten by with more but I'd much prefer 1/2' at a time.

What is your underlying soil? Ideally, you would want to use something similar unless it's just really gnarly gumbo or something. People like to use more sandy mixes for the ease of applying but mixing sand and clay makes... well... bricks.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
Bill Kearney

The underlying soil has a lot of clay. The whole area used to be a dairy farm (pre-1950) so it was pretty compacted. The top 2' of nearly the entire lot was dug up during the construction process, so at least it's "loose" not solidly compacted like before, or as a result of construction equipment compacting it. But it's still a high percentage of orang-ish clay. They put down about an inch or two of topsoil before laying the sod, so at least it wasn't laid straight onto the clay.

Yeah, I'd read about the sand and didn't see that as making a lot of sense given the clay soil here.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #8

I'd use something more loamy. It might not be the same as the base soil but you'll be improving the top layer where all the roots will be over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
level , sod , turf , zoysia