Best Fabric For French Drain - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2017, 08:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 378

Best fabric for french drain

I've been reading about non woven and woven fabric for french drains. Which is best and should fabric be used (I've heard conflicting views about the fabric clogging making drain useless).
lpranger467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: Best fabric for french drain

Unfortunately the term "french drain" is used to refer to a wide variety of drains, it would really help if you describe exactly what it is you are trying to do. If you are building a perimeter drain around a building with the intent of intercepting groundwater, it is very common to surround the perforated pipe with crushed stone, typically at least a foot around the pipe, and surround the crushed stone with filter fabric to keep the fine material from clogging the crushed stone. There are woven and non-woven filter fabrics, as long as they are listed for your specific application they will be OK. See this website for a full description of the various types of fabric available, and correct application. https://www.usfabricsinc.com/geotext...OpoxoCmGrw_wcB
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #3

Thanks Dan, I know we have chatted before. I have opted to do a deep "curtain" drain at the base of a steep hill to prevent ground water from ever reaching the stone basement wall. The curtain drain will be about 6 feet out from the foundation as that I'm deathly afraid of undermining the soild under the 80 yr old foundation, but at the same time keep water out of the basement.

This being said though will I risk the fabric clogging and making the drain useless ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,722

Ayuh,..... We use 2 different fabrics,....

The woven stuff don't pass water very well, 'n is used to keep mud, 'n clay from pumpin' up into the fresh clean crushed limestone We install,....

The other stuff is a pressed filter fabric, like that found on fabric covered drainage tile,...
Never had the pressed filter fabric clog up to my knowledge,...
We'll dig a trench, from a couple feet wide, 'n deep to 10s of feet wide, 'n deep,...
Line it with the filter fabric, 'n backfill it with large washed crushed limestone,...
The filter fabric keeps the mud, 'n silt out, yet allows the water to pass,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:06 PM   #5

ok thanks. I had an inspector (home) come out today who felt that a swale might handle my issues but there is just so much water coming down the hill I'm not sure. how deep does surface water generally go ? (wondering if curtain drain is worthwhile)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement