Before I Add Topsoil And Seed My New Lawn... - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Bondo
  • 2 Post By SPS-1
  • 1 Post By InTheLawn
  • 2 Post By Colbyt
  • 2 Post By Cedrus

Old 06-27-2019, 11:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 60

Before I add topsoil and seed my new lawn...

Hi,
So, I had 50 yards of fill trucked to my backyard to level it off. The material delivered was "2-inch minus" fill from our local yard. However, the mason dump truck had a hard time delivering because it would sink into all the loose soil it was delivering. So we rented a vibratory plate compactor and ran over each truckload after we spread it by hand. The truck could then drive over it with much less problem, and we leveled everything off successfully. My plan now is to add 2-3 inches of topsoil, seed, and hay, for a new lawn.

Is it a problem that I compacted the subsoil like that? It still drains, but heavy downpours do start to run off. Should I rototill as I add topsoil? Or just add topsoil and not worry about the subsoil?

I'm in Connecticut, so I assume freeze/thaw will loosen things up over time/years.

Advice appreciated!
Thanks
Theodore
Theodore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 05:26 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Re: Before I add topsoil and seed my new lawn...

Quote:
Is it a problem that I compacted the subsoil like that? It still drains, but heavy downpours do start to run off.
Ayuh,..... It'll be fine, the grass grows in the top dirt, 'n once the grass takes root, the erosion will stop,.....
Dave Sal and InTheLawn like this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 05:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,548

Hope you are not planning to seed anytime soon. It will have a very hard time surviving the summer heat. September would be a much better time to seed.
TarheelTerp and InTheLawn like this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 07:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 28

I always tend to make things more complicated than they need to be but it's only because I do things right! well, I'd like to think so anyway... I'd wait til you have some cooler temps before you seed. Also this depends on what grass type you are going with. Turf type tall fescue, Kentucky blue grass, perennial rye, etc.. based on your location you're probably going with a cool season grass type. I wouldn't use hay either, I'd use peat moss. holds moisture better to allow for faster germination. I would also aerate (do not roto til) with a core aerator before you seed. This will help with that compaction and help deliver oxygen and nutrients to the soil. Add a starter fertilizer in there too. (10-10-10) You actually could start now but you wouldn't have much growing time before the grass goes dormant. If you have any specific questions just let me know.
AlWood likes this.
InTheLawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,997

But when you seed in the fall please use straw and not hay.

Depending on the grade you have to deal with you might consider some of that mat stuff. It did an excellent job of holding the seed in place for me.
Cedrus and Msradell like this.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,834

Also, be sure to add any amendments as you rake in the topsoil. Gypsum for soil conditioning and to help prevent compaction or to loosen compacted soil. Also for Female Urine burn spots.

Add some good compost to the top soil in addition to the fertilizer. You want to feed the soil as well as the grass. The micro-nutrients create a micro biome that helps the soil become healthy.

The compost also helps hold in moisture instead of letting it run through or prevent it from pooling.
ktownskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 576

Add some 0-10-10 to your topsoil and mix it in.........before seeding.
Msradell and ktownskier like this.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement