Bare Spots And Moss Around Fence And Edging - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Colbyt

Old 03-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 272

Bare spots and moss around fence and edging

We moved into our home last fall so this spring is the first time I'll be doing some yard maintenance. A couple issues our yard has that I would like to remedy:

1. We have a bare area around our entire privacy fence and bordering most of our edging. Many places are covered in moss, but some aren't and it's just bare dirt. Grass immediately starts at usually 3-4 inches out from the fence. Is there anything grass that will grow in this area? I know sometimes there are mossy areas that just simply won't grow grass regardless of what you try. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e5pwe03vw...4sNWIVo1a?dl=0

2. Our yard in general has very soft grass and what I would say is kind of spongy dirt. I think part of it is that when we have rain our yard definitely has some low spots and the yard overall gets quite spongy even though we're at the top of a hill. I love the soft grass, its really nice to walk on barefoot so I don't want to change the kind of grass we have but I just wonder if there's anything we can do to kind of thicken the grass/root structure? I've had great success growing grass with Scotts Weed and Feed and it helping make the grass thicker as well as removing weeds (which would be nice since we have some closer and the occasional weed). Is there anything else I should do? I don't necessarily want to seed a different grass in with the soft grass unless that's what I should be doing. Ironically, where the low spots are in our yard the grass gets very thick and isn't as soft. It's also the only grass that turned brown over the winter. Not sure what to make of that.

Thanks for any help or guidance!
bluegrassliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,015

Re: Bare spots and moss around fence and edging

Image 1 and 2 look intentional to me; probably done to reduce trimmer use and prevent damage to the fence from trimmer string. I have the grass edged away from a rock wall in my backyard.

The mossy area might gross grass if it gets a few hours of sunlight each day. You may have to kill the moss first with a herbicide.
lenaitch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 12:03 PM   #3

Yeah, I thought it might be intentional with how consistent it is. I get the idea, but I don't like all the mud it generates. I suppose it prevents trimming but I don't mind that all that much. I'd rather not have myself, my kids, or our dog get into the mud around the edge of the yard. The moss literally just scrapes off as it sits kind of loosely on the dirt in most areas. If what you say is true, I'm guessing I can just remove the moss and put seed down in most of these areas. My grass is kind of soft, thin, and whispy. Is that a particular type of grass? I don't want to seed with something that would look a lot different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #4

I guess I'm also open to ideas for covering the muddy areas with something so that it's not muddy but it doesn't necessarily need to have grass there. I figure that's just the easiest and most economical. I wouldn't think putting down pea gravel or mulch or whatever would look the same or make as much sense.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,015

With your username, I would assume you are in KY.

Skip the loyalty BS for bluegrass and sow fescue if you want a nice lawn. Use creeping red in areas that don't get enough sun and and regular in sunny areas.

Southern States has a nice fescue by the bag or pound (their brand). My store does not stock the creeping red but they do have a blend I am trying.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #6

I'm actually in northern Indiana. Bluegrass is the street I live on.

I'll look into red creeper and fescue. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,224

I agree that they p/o might have deliberately not seeded this space. I suppose you could put down pea stone but you'll have to dig down to put a decent layer down - if you just sprinkle a thin layer on top you will fling it with your mower/weed whacker and if the soil is soft it will likely sink away. The moss will have to be removed if you want grass to germinate. It's presence could also indicate that the soil in that area is acidic; horticultural lime might help. I see a lot of oak leaves. If it's anything like up here they can be tough on grass. They drop late in the Fall and are quite 'waxy'; i.e. slow to break down and the wind can pile them into quite a dense layer.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions

I'm fairly certain after a bit of research that I have fine fescue grass given where we live, what it looks like, etc. Fine fescue seed can be found but I'm told it can be hard to get it to really take hold and be hardy. Once it's taken root it seems to do fine. Tall fescue is far more common at my local department stores and is also used in a lot of shade grass seed. How much of a difference is there between fine fescue and tall fescue? I like what people say about tall fescue in that it is generally easy to plant and maintain and has deep roots that allow it to do well in many climates and weather situations. Thanks again for all of the help!
Old 03-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,712

@bluegrassliving , if you have moss, you don't have enough light.

That might turn out to be a blessing, according to some people on this forum who had moss and found it prettier and lower-maintenance than grass.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,201

Bluegrass, do you have a pic of the moss areas? We love moss.
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #11

Here's a thread from a while back with a nice discussion and story about moss.

https://www.diychatroom.com/f194/wha...dscape-632819/

Hmmm . . . .

"Don't toss the moss"?

Moss can be really really pretty if used right. It's totally different kind of plant, far more "primitive"; sneak a peek under a magnifying glass and see how different it is from grass. It won't need fertilizing, and it's so dense most weeds won't have a chance.

Last edited by DoomsDave; 03-25-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #12

And, some research turned up this!

Wonder if moss will grow under palms? Might be worth the trouble to find out!

http://www.mossacres.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement