Backyard Space Renovation (pavers Vs Stamped Concrete, Excavation, Drainage, Etc) - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 138

Backyard space renovation (pavers vs stamped concrete, excavation, drainage, etc)

Hey guys,

So my backyard space is really lacking and I'd like to get it primarily hardscaped. It's about a 420~sq ft area of space. There would have to be some excavation, drainage, and then choosing between pavers and stamped concrete.
I'm not planning to DIY this one primarily due to difficult access to the yard. There is no gate so the only access is through the condo and there are several weird angles for getting wheelbarrows through. I had a couple contractors come out and they were really insistent on hoisting materials over the walls (which aren't very high - 5ft~).

I've received quotes for both pavers and stamped concrete from one contractor and it's around $10k either way, which was a bit surprising (in the sense that I thought stamped concrete would cost much less). About half of the cost is going towards excavation (wants to excavate 8" of dirt out and has to be over the wall), drainage, and "inconvenience" fees for having to do everything over the wall. The other half of the cost is going towards either installation of pavers or concrete (this includes the base, sand, etc). This seems really pricey for 420~ sq ft too - I mean, I sort of understand in a way because of the very limited access.

I'm still waiting on a quote from another contractor who was really pushing for stamped concrete. But he seemed to not be as "thorough" in his explanation of how exactly it would be installed. He seemed to be anti-excavation and didn't talk much about laying a base foundation for the cement (I'm assuming the foundation/roadbase/re-bar are pretty standard for cement installs?).

I'm planning to call up a few other contractors to get more quotes but just wanted to get some opinions and advice. I'm in Southern California btw.

TIA!
jplee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #2

Oh NM with the stamped concrete. I think with all the prep required and what not, it makes sense that it might cost as much as pavers would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 58

I can see why they wanted to hoist over fence instead of risking damage to the inside. If pouring concrete, they have booms that will shoot it right over the wall. The pavers would have to be handed over. None of it sounds easy for your space. If porous paving is an issue in your community, the pavers should allow more ground penetration of water although the base would have to be prepared properly.

Did you get referrals?
BradMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
I can see why they wanted to hoist over fence instead of risking damage to the inside. If pouring concrete, they have booms that will shoot it right over the wall. The pavers would have to be handed over. None of it sounds easy for your space. If porous paving is an issue in your community, the pavers should allow more ground penetration of water although the base would have to be prepared properly.

Did you get referrals?
Thanks for the info. I've primarily gone through Yelp and Google Searches to find the information. Don't know my neighbors who have had patios done, and don't have too many friends I can think of who at least recently had stuff done. One of our friends actually recommended the contractor who I mentioned above was pushing for concrete but didn't thoroughly explain everything he was considering. I'm guessing he might be the lowest cost but I'm a bit concerned about quality. Our friends had him just install pavers and very simple landscaping in an area that's maybe a third of the size of our yard.

As far as drainage, we're the corner unit facing the street and right outside the yard walls is a hill that slopes at around 60 degrees, so any run-off will go into the landscaping and eventually streets/storm drains. I'm not sure how the original landscaping accounted for drainage but a couple years ago I ripped all existing plants out and it's pretty much been a dirt lot since. When it rains some areas pool with water, so that will need to be addressed.

Last edited by jplee3; 03-03-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 58

Some areas have rules about impervious cover but probably not on such a small area. I was just thinking that you're in California and things can get sticky with rules and regs out there.
BradMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
Some areas have rules about impervious cover but probably not on such a small area. I was just thinking that you're in California and things can get sticky with rules and regs out there.
Hmm, yea I'm not sure but that's a good thing to check on w/ the HOA. I know they may have qualms about having stuff go over the wall but I'll just have to find out.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,378

Maybe... install something like this and the rest could be a garden or raised garden with flowers or plants.
This at home depot is 10' x 10' for only $500.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Classic-S...vZbx4bZ1z0uet8

You can look here and find more.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-...vZbx4bZ1z0uet8

http://www.familyhandyman.com/garden...n-bed/view-all

Maybe even add.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/garden...-arch/view-all

Last edited by ron45; 03-03-2015 at 08:09 PM.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #8

Looks nice but even with that kit, wouldn't you still want to excavate and put a solid base down? If I had gate access and more open space, I'd definitely consider DIYing but it's just too tight to work in the space I have and deal with hauling stuff through the condo especially (while worrying about not leaving a mess or spilling stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
Maybe... install something like this and the rest could be a garden or raised garden with flowers or plants.
This at home depot is 10' x 10' for only $500.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Classic-S...vZbx4bZ1z0uet8

You can look here and find more.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-...vZbx4bZ1z0uet8

http://www.familyhandyman.com/garden...n-bed/view-all

Maybe even add.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/garden...-arch/view-all
Old 03-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 334

What is the fence made out of? Can it be taken down temporarily?

As a concrete/masonry contractor, I would never recommend taking all if this though the interior of a home. I wouldn't even give you an estimate, actually, as it's just not worth the head aches involved........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
What is the fence made out of? Can it be taken down temporarily?

As a concrete/masonry contractor, I would never recommend taking all if this though the interior of a home. I wouldn't even give you an estimate, actually, as it's just not worth the head aches involved........

The first contractor said it's basically cinder blocks with stucco painted over. He actually suggested cutting a portion of the wall out for materials transfer, then patching it back up afterwards. As far as doing anything more though I doubt it - the HOA would likely be very against this.

Yea, all the contractors so far have said they'll have to hoist stuff over the wall. The one who came out today was thinking he could still bring stuff through if it was a straight shot to the yard, but it's not and so he said going over the wall is the only way (fortunately it's not impossibly high to get stuff over).
I know what you mean too - I've already been shot down by at least one company based on the fact that they will absolutely not bring anything through a unit. Period. I think the other part of it was that they'd be working with such a small sq footage so it probably doesn't even seem worth it to take on such a project.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 334

I would look into removing the wall temporarily and rebuilding, if it was me. If you're saying your HOA won't allow this, it makes me wonder what rights you do have as a property owner???
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4,378

Of course you would have to excavate, that's why I mentioned the raised garden..
Without any pictures of your landscape we can only.....
Most places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc., will deliver. They have what is called a spider and it can travel most terrain to get the load more where you need it.

I don't think you will like the quick fix, helicopters are $11,000 and hour.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 6,985

Logistics considered it sounds like cheap bids to me. I've not confirmed an amount but my neighbor probably spent way more than that using pavers to do a short driveway with easy access.

Trust us when we say "over or through the wall" is the only option you should consider. You don't want this crap going through your home. If the contractor buys from the right supplier they can boom the pavers or the concrete over the wall.

The excavation (required for a proper job either way) is a major problem with no way to get equipment in there. It sounds like a lot of manual labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement