Backyard Flooding - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Backyard flooding

My new house has a really bad flooding problem in the back. The soil is very high in clay, and the low point in the yard collects water after every rain and it just sits there, for months.

I'm trying to think what to do. Does it make sense to remove clay from that area, and replace it with some better quality soil? Soil that would allow water to soak through.

It's at a very low spot, so I can't really put a drainage pipe to anywhere.
I also can't fix it by regrading the yard, because my backyard is bordered by neighbors, and I'd just be pushing water into their yards. I can't think of what else to do.
Tkoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 996

lets see pics.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

NDS drainage systems. Visit the website watch some videos.
jasone85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,374

Might speak to the builder or your local municipality about it. Our development had storm water management issues that the local gov't forced the developer to fix (or they wouldn't approve any additional occupancy permits and fines).
Best to get it down for free and at the beginning of your ownership; only will get more expensive and difficult later.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,652

Call in a couple of truckloads of clean fill dirt, to raise the low spots. All yards that meet along the back, should have a valley sloped to keep water flowing down to a wetlands or stream if there is one.

Most cities will not allow the water to go into sewage. Some have separate Storm systems & Sewage systems. In my area, both are combined into one.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement