Arborvitae Nigra In NY/NJ Care Question (PIC) - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cedrus

Old 09-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 238

Arborvitae nigra in NY/NJ care question (PIC)

Morning all, I have about a 100' run of arborvitae nigra's that are about 25-30' tall. The previous owner did not do any care, I noticed last winter the snow was getting little heavy. Have a question that I have asked local tree "experts" and received two opposite answers.

Question: I would like to get them trimmed and topped (as one side is about 2' lower than other), what is best time?

Expert 1 Answer - I would skip trimming them now, in the fall, and wait until July. Because July/August is after the growth and gives the branches/trees time to "heal". I would not top them at all, as this will "open" the tops up and snow fall into the middle.

Expert 2 Answer - There are no issues if you do them right now, as the branches will still have time to heal prior to the first frost, we even can trim them in late fall early winter and there shouldn't be any issues. We can top them to even out the row, I would do any more than 2'.

I also asking if when pruning/trimming, should you go UP with the hedgetrimmer or DOWN, each had different answers, I thought that you should go DOWN with the trimmer.

(Note: Pic was a Pano from iPhone so may not look to scale)

Thanks for any info!
Attached Thumbnails
Arborvitae nigra in NY/NJ care question (PIC)-img_5223.jpg  
nutshellml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 576

Re: Arborvitae nigra in NY/NJ care question (PIC)

Ask 2-3 gardeners/landscapers to come over for a bid to shape your thuja. If you are worried about snowfall bending or damaging the shrub.....it seems they have been OK for last 10-20 years.

My view would be to shape according to the apparent down slope...and not too much. As far as which direction to use the trimmer.....I have gone up, down and sideways. Ask the people you will soon have coming over. (More info the better).
nutshellml likes this.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cedrus For This Useful Post:
nutshellml (10-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement