Anyone Know The Name Of This Weed? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marky82

Old 06-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

Anyone know the name of this weed?

Does anyone know what this weed is called? I live in southern Connecticut (town of Hamden). My grass is mostly fescue and perennial rye. I put down a broadleaf killer but it didn't get rid of these darn weeds. I know I can send a sample to my local agricultural department but I thought I'd check here first.

Any ideas?

Marky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,364

Re: Anyone know the name of this weed?

It's hard to tell because the leaves are curled, but here's photos of weeds in Connecticut. Many of these are in my garden! I'd never heard of corn gluten meal inhibiting growth as the write up says.

http://www.ct.gov/caes/lib/caes/docu...rden_weeds.pdf
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 202

Any chance that they are volunteers from nearby trees? I know they don't look like it, and not saying they are, but our yard is full of volunteers for a month or so this time every year. Ours are mostly maples and birch, and they eventually subside after a few mowings, but sometimes they are clearly this or that and other times not so much so. And some years they have more of a weed looking stalk than that of a baby tree.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 266

Thanks for the link, what a great resource! After reading that, and some more googling, I now believe they are Wild Violets. They aren't flowering because I keep cutting them when I mow the lawn. Apparently they take additional herbicide applications to remove.

Thanks for the help!

//mark
Nik333 likes this.
Marky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement