Animal Stripped Bark Off Tree - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 422

Animal stripped bark off tree

We have a spruce tree about 10 feet high and it seems something stripped the bark off right around the truck about half a foot above the ground. I have heard that this will kill the tree.
The bark chunks are still on the ground. Can I place these as best as I can back on the trunk, wrap it up, and hope for the best? Or is this just a waste of time and the tree is finished? Any other solutions? If the tree is finished, how long does it take to start turning red and die? Thanks.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,314

Consult with a tree surgeon on the best way to cover up the trunk. This would most likely not include replacing the bark pieces. If the animal carved too deeply then the tree is done for.
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,574

As long as the cambrium is not damaged I think you may be ok (emphasis on may). I've seen that black plastic corrugated drainage pipe used on tree trunks to protect them from damage; I guess it would depend on your tree's diameter as to how you might shield it from more damage and if this stuff might work.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 396

If they stripped the bark all around the tree at a level then the tree is done for as the sap cannot move up and down, but as long as you have a bit of bark connecting past the damage it may be ok. I'm not sure how to treat best for disease and insects.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement