Am I Going To Get A $1,500 Lawn Watering Bill? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Canarywood1
  • 3 Post By Nealtw

Old 06-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 58

Am I going to get a $1,500 lawn watering bill?

Last year I was cheap about it, barely watered my lawn, and pretty much destroyed it. Glad I did Aeration and overseeing in the fall. Right now the lawn is nice but some spots that get lots of sun are starting to dry out.

Here is the issue.
I have a 8 zone sprinkler system. I am running each zone at around 30-40min. I turn it on at 5am and it stops by around 8:30am. That's 3 and a half hours of water. And at the end of it, after placing those cat food size cans around to see how much water has been collected, I am around 1/3rd of an inch. Is this normal???

Everyone says that you need to water enough to collect 1 inch of water. I am at one third of that after 40 minutes on each zone.

I am curious, is it normal to run sprinkler for an hour or so per zone? Am I going to see this huge water bill at the end of summer? What do folks here pay for watering their lawn?

Thank you.
JeffB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 09:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,496

Re: Am I going to get a $1,500 lawn watering bill?

Do you have a meter that you can read? There is lots of meter reading advice for all types of meters on the net.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 576

Do you not pay your water bill monthly to see what's what ? Are all 8 zones for your lawn ? I was in N.J. years ago, for 3 months (Perth Amboy).... and remember it raining each afternoon in the summer.

It is better that you water DEEPLY...infrequently; rather than each day...shallow. Dig down and see how deep your irrigation is going.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #4

Here is a map of my system
Attached Thumbnails
Am I going to get a alt=,500 lawn watering bill?-sprinklers.jpg  
Old 06-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedrus View Post
Do you not pay your water bill monthly to see what's what ? Are all 8 zones for your lawn ? I was in N.J. years ago, for 3 months (Perth Amboy).... and remember it raining each afternoon in the summer.

It is better that you water DEEPLY...infrequently; rather than each day...shallow. Dig down and see how deep your irrigation is going.
My water bill comes every 3 months. It' like a quarterly surprise.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,528

I have an 8 zone system. I only run it when the grass looks like it needs water. Takes about 3-4 hours to complete. The rotaries run 20-40 minutes, and the pop-ups about 10-20 minutes each. On average, I would say my water bill goes up about $C 25/month during the hotter months. Seems at least once a year, I get a really hot, dry month where my water bill is 2 to 2-1/2 times the winter water bill.

I believe what they say is your lawn should get about 1"/week of water (combination of sprinkler and rain, not 1" per watering). I don't think my lawn gets quite that much water.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,042

Just get one of these and you can check everywhere in your yard to see how wet the soil is.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Moisture-Li...BoCpfsQAvD_BwE
Nealtw likes this.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,338

A little watering every day encourages the roots to come to the surface and dry out faster.
Deep watering less often makes them go deeper for water and the water lasts longer.
Dave Sal, CodeMatters and CaptTom like this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 4,170

You don't say if this schedule is every day but, if it is, others have pointed out that a frequent and light watering schedule promotes shallow root growth. I would switch to running one or two zones a day long enough so you see significant depth of penetration of the water (sticking a long screwdriver into the ground works pretty well to see how far the water has penetrated the soil).
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement