8,000 Sqft Backyard With Compact Clay, Which Tiller? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #1

8,000 sqft backyard with compact clay, which tiller?

We dug in a hole for a 25ft diameter pool and took a lot of the dirt that was clay and black dirt mixed and spread around and graded some low spots in yard with tracked bobcat. So now, alot of it is packed frim machine rolling over it.

I don't know if i can get my hands on a Harley rake and the bobcat again, so I was thinking of just buying a tiller and doing a little at a time to get the yard graded the way i want and not feel rushed with rental equipment. Plus, dirt was added by wood fence so there are big clumps next to fence i want to get at so i can slope the grade there and not have the dirt against the fence.

Will a cheaper front tine tiller handle big clumps of clay dirt? Also do front tine tillers move themselves forward or does it require a lot of pushing?

I was hoping to get a smaller one and use it to do the trench for french drain, as well as electrical, as the electrical trench will need to be close to fence, too close for a big trencher to get at.

Any suggestions on a tiller? I don't mind getting a smaller one and spending more time with it, but i don't want to get one and it can't bite into the dirt or break up chunks either..

Picture attached.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
8,000 sqft backyard with compact clay, which tiller?-20170423_145410_1493039284153.jpg  
Eaglei22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #2

Better picture area that needs tough tilling. I plan to till the rest of yard and put down sod.
Attached Thumbnails
8,000 sqft backyard with compact clay, which tiller?-20170423_150200_1493039619894.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Re: 8,000 sqft backyard with compact clay, which tiller?

Ayuh,.... Honestly, I don't think a tiller is what ya want to use, but anyways,...

Cheap front tine tillers are good for tillin' already loose soils,...

If ya need to break up hard soils, a rear tine is the only way to go, 'n bigger is better,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #4

What would you use instead of a tiller?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement