70% Weeds. Use Spray Or Replace Sod? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

70% Weeds. Use Spray or Replace Sod?

Hello,

I have about 70% Weeds in the backyard. Does anyone know more about it? Check the pictures below:

I have two options:

1). Use Weed Spray only (can you recommend me the brand that works really well with killing weeds; not grass?)
OR
2). Getting rid of the entire sod using sod cutter machine and laying new sod.

Please let me know which of the two options I need to implement.

Thanks.

Last edited by johnny101; 09-20-2018 at 03:37 PM.
johnny101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,736

Re: 70% Weeds. Use Spray or Replace Sod?

#3 - spray round up or another weed killer on the entire back yard and then either seed or lay sod after the weeds are all gone and you've dressed up the top soil.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,510

I'm with Mark Sr. on this one.

My procedure is spray the area with Roundup (glyphosate). Wait a week and then spray anything that is still green. Wait a week, rent a tiller and till the ground and put down sod. I'm not positive you need to wait a week before putting down the sod after spraying, but my system seems to work.

You don't show a location, but right now is a good time to lay sod, in many places.

Make sure you are getting fresh sod. The nursery near me takes orders, then has it harvested and brought in once a week, and you can either pick it up or have it delivered the next day. Stuff you buy at the big box store - who knows how long it has been sitting outside.

If you are having it delivered, try hard to get it delivered as close as possible to where you will be placing it. Those rolls get heavy after a while.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Brick it.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 274

Check your local and state/provincial laws.

Cosmetic pesticide/herbicide use is illegal in ontario, canada, probably other provinces and possibly in certain states/cities in us.

Roundup may only be legal for killing noxious weeds like poison ivy, not restoring a lawn.

I don't know what kind of weeds you have, but if it's just clover and some dandelions, can just fertilize and fertilize to get it thick, then mow it down. Over-seeding i don't think you can do this late in the season.

Lawns are mono-cultures that can't exist in nature. It's unrealistic to expect it to be 100% weed free without using selective herbicides constantly, whether they're conventional (example: killex - 24d/mercpop/dicanba) or natural but the less effective but iron based stuff.

You can nuke it all and start from scratch, but soon enough you'll have the same first world problem.
I am not in the business of any trade or topic I give advise on. I have previous diy experience plus good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_12345a View Post
Check your local and state/provincial laws.

Cosmetic pesticide/herbicide use is illegal in ontario, canada, probably other provinces and possibly in certain states/cities in us.

Roundup may only be legal for killing noxious weeds like poison ivy, not restoring a lawn.

I don't know what kind of weeds you have, but if it's just clover and some dandelions, can just fertilize and fertilize to get it thick, then mow it down. Over-seeding i don't think you can do this late in the season.

Lawns are mono-cultures that can't exist in nature. It's unrealistic to expect it to be 100% weed free without using selective herbicides constantly, whether they're conventional (example: killex - 24d/mercpop/dicanba) or natural but the less effective but iron based stuff.

You can nuke it all and start from scratch, but soon enough you'll have the same first world problem.
I bought RoundUp Weed & Grass Killer. Is it good?

johnny101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,736

That should work, spray it liberally.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
It's a weaker version of Agent Orange. It has to work.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 274

It's a totally different product from agent orange.

Agent orange had 24d and another herbicide and the closest would be a selective weed killer with 24d. it's the other herbicide that was banned but the 24d component is still in use, causes the plant to over-grow and die.
I am not in the business of any trade or topic I give advise on. I have previous diy experience plus good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 917

You're gonna need a lot more than that for a lawn. Find 40% Glyphosate concentrate and mix in a pump sprayer. A quart of 40% will make about 10 gallons of diluted spray.
If you can't or don't want to fork over the $$$ for sod, you can go with seed for a fraction of the cost. If you get it in soon (before Oct 1) there will be time for it to germinate and get some roots down before winter. Fall is the best time to seed because the soil is still warm but the cooler weather will slow down evaporation so you don't have to water as much (if at all).
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny101 View Post

I agree with the advice to buy concentrate and get a sprayer and spray that way. That ready-to-use won't go nearly far enough, unless you have a teensy lawn.

Also, be warned that some weeds are tougher to get rid of than others.

Maybe post a picture of some of your worst weeds? If you have, for example, purple nut sedge, it will take a lot more than a bit of roundup to annihilate it.
Attached Images

DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement