4-6 Foot Retaining Wall Options - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes

Old 04-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 616

4-6 foot retaining wall options

I was all set to pull the trigger on the Home Depot "Black Friday" sale for their Pavestone "Rockwall" blocks at 1.78 each.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pavestone...7550/204643744

However, reading the fine print, they are only good for max 2 foot high walls. So, I'm seeking suggestions for alternative options.

I need a 12 foot long wall that tapers from appx 5 foot tall at the house wall down to zero where it meets the existing grade out in front of the house wall. It creates a level yard left to right, along the house for bed plantings, but slopes down from back to front to meet the existing grade to form a surface runoff drain channel.

I will be burying the first course and they will be sitting on 3/4" drain gravel. There will be french drains along the house wall as well as the retaining wall with gravel backfill. The wall where the dirt meets the house will be fitted with rigid plastic dimpled waterproofing membrane.

I just need the most affordable retaining wall system that supports a retaining wall that is 5 foot above grade at its tallest point.

A picture below illustrates the before/after. The wall will be on the right side, holding the dirt, trees & landscaping bed added there.

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 04-07-2017 at 09:05 PM.
homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #2

Re: 4-6 foot retaining wall options

I think I've convinced myself to just do a gently sloped grade rather than a retaining wall. Sorry for all the questions. Hopefully the Q&A helps someone in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2017, 11:54 PM   #3

In my neck of the woods, anything above 36 inches requires an engineer. I guess the engineer has to create the plan.
Nik333 likes this.
Goodguyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 12:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,312

It's an interesting thread. I'm not an expert on anything here. But, every time I read your posts I worry about Soil Creep/Mass Movement. Your photos don't show what is below the slope or above it & you haven't mentioned what kind of rock is below the soil. But, take me with a grain of salt, I am fr. earthquake-prone California.
http://galleryhip.com/soil-creep-diagram.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_wasting

Last edited by Nik333; 04-10-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,068

If built correct a Dry Stacked Stone Wall can be any height needed to be used as a retaining wall.

Making the base of the wall wider allows it's height to be as high as needed.

This can also be incorporated into a gently sloping swale to build your planting beds on at the wall.

Many places are terraced this way.

Get 8 inch diameter roundish stones, lay a base of 6 feet or so wide X the length needed, then another layer on top of that, then another on top.

Going up in a stack similar to stacking cannonballs.

Then fill dirt between the stone stack, and building. Gravity holds it all together, and it looks good .

To go higher, just add another base stone, and subsequent layer up. Repeat as needed for more height.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
It's an interesting thread. I'm not an expert on anything here. But, every time I read your posts I worry about Soil Creep/Mass Movement. Your photos don't show what is below the slope or above it & you haven't mentioned what kind of rock is below the soil. But, take me with a grain of salt, I am fr. earthquake-prone California.
http://galleryhip.com/soil-creep-diagram.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_wasting
Hard clay and sandstone mostly. The right side will be sloped at about 35 degrees max. There will be monkey grass planted on the slope to help retain the soil.

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 04-17-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeimproverjoe View Post
Hard clay and sandstone mostly. The right side will be sloped at about 35 degrees max. There will be monkey grass planted on the slope to help retain the soil.
There is a saying that if you cut the end of a hill out, add water & shake, you get jello. You might want to consult an expert to make sure that the lower depth sand will not shift. It's visible in the photo you put up when the tree was removed. It's actually a heavy weight & I believe it's the slope of the rock underneath that matters.

I thought the concept of the trees bending toward the shift was interesting. I don't know what's below you at the end of your sloped yard. Good luck.
homeimproverjoe likes this.

Last edited by Nik333; 04-18-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
You might want to consult an expert to make sure that the lower depth sand will not shift. It's visible in the photo you put up when the tree was removed.
Thanks for the helpful advice. I'm not sure which photo though. Can you link to it? There is some sand that we brought in for the patio job a few years back that appears in the pond excavation photos, but I've seen no sand present otherwise. Lots of hard clay mostly. Some pics below...

Hole dug out for garden pond:

Dirt that came out of hole that consists mostly of large chunks of hardened clay (some concrete pieces mixed in from first saw cut):

Note: The currogated black pipe in the shot above will be cut and replaced with 30 feet of 4 inch sched 40. That pipe is not part of the french drain system (seen here too) but rather is connected to a surface drain box to the left of the courtyard and a single downspout at the courtyard.

Quote:
I don't know what's below you at the end of your sloped yard. Good luck.
Natural slope that goes down to a dry stormwater drainage creekbed in the back of the house. All surface water will be directed into this area.

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 04-18-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 708

I hope you are putting a compacted gravel base down under the blocks.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
jlhaslip, this is what I've been responding to:
Quote:
I think I've convinced myself to just do a gently sloped grade rather than a retaining wall. Sorry for all the questions. Hopefully the Q&A helps someone in the future.
I'll find the tree later in the day.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
No longer considering a retaining wall. We are opting for a 30 degree slope from fill to grade in both horizontal and vertical directions.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #12

Quote:
I'm not sure which photo though. Can you link to it? There is some sand that we brought in for the patio job a few years back that appears in the pond excavation photos, but I've seen no sand present otherwise. Lots of hard clay mostly. Some pics below...
http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/stump...m-jack-491585/ Post #6, photo seems to show sand.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #13

Quote:
I think this is the photo you are asking about...

That crepe myrtle is actually on the opposite end of the yard that will be getting fill. Its on the left side of the house. Still, I don't recall any sand there. It was mostly rich black dirt. Very rich dirt. So much so that I considered piling it separate to use for topsoil.

However, the dirt on the right side of the house that is getting the fill dirt is rich red clay that required a spade bit jackhammer to dig out.

This pic is very representative of it:

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 04-18-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #14

Quote:
I think this is the photo you are asking about...

That crepe myrtle is actually on the opposite end of the yard that will be getting fill. Its on the left side of the house. Still, I don't recall any sand there. It was mostly rich black dirt. Very rich dirt. So much so that I considered piling it separate to use for topsoil.

However, the dirt on the right side of the house that is getting the fill dirt is rich red clay that required a spade bit jackhammer to dig out.

This pic is very representative of it:

It could be several layers or strata, created over time. I told you I'm no expert, it's more of a hobby. But, the soil to the left of the photo definitely looks like sand. I'm trying to get you to look deeper than fill, although fill can slide, too.

This is interesting:

http://trekbirmingham.com/topics/geology/

Last edited by Nik333; 04-18-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #15

Maybe that very rich black dirt has oil!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement