1 Gallon Water Bottles In Urn - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 850

1 gallon water bottles in urn

bought a couple of 36" tall urns. the woman at home depot garden section said i could put some 1 gallon water bottles in the bottom of the pot. full of water, seems like ill need 5 or 6 to get the bottom up to wear ill still have more than enough area for the mulch and dirt needed for the plant ill be putting in it. any else heard of doing this. how long will the bottles last before breaking apart.
Attached Thumbnails
1 gallon water bottles in urn-screen-shot-2015-06-07-9.28.36-am.jpg  
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 05:02 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
how long will the bottles last before breaking apart.
Ayuh,.... Til the water freezes, 'n expands bigger than the jugs,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 05:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,914

That shape might work fine inside, your going to get sick of picking them up every time the wind blows them over no matter what you put in the bottom.
The base is just to small. I'd be using pea gravel for drainage and weight.
Colbyt (06-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 05:44 AM   #4

well it weighs 100 pounds, with nothing in it.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
well it weighs 100 pounds, with nothing in it.

How much do you think a tree weights? They blow over.

If you already had the answer in your mind, why ask for an opinion. You got a good one from Joe.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #6

oh geeez, i asked a simple question and get a bunch of smart a++ answers. first of all it doesnt freeze here in bullhead city arizona, second i know all about the wind here, ive lived here for 30 years, and yes ive seen trees blow over, so maybe if i attach a few large butterfly wings to it, towards the top ofcourse, and put it in the middle of my yard with nothing blocking then wind, well then i could maybe watch it blow over, but in reality the weight of it plus the added weight of the dirt, thinking about 150 pounds, boy i guess my wife better not go outside in the wind or shell blow over. so neither of you know about the water jugs in the bottom of these large urns in the desert to take up space and even help keep the dirt a little cooler in the summer.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,568

Sure saved me money by giving up my subscription to the funny papers.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

Since you a in Bullhead City (great name!!!) and frost is not a problem, just putting water (not in jugs) plus some pea rock in the bottom to improve drainage and then add the soil of you choice. You are in an area where the natural evaporation is very high, so some watering is necessary.

If there small drainage hole in the bottom to remove the excess water?

The soil you put in will draw up the moisture for plants by capillary action and the roots will go down eventually to get water. Get a moisture probe from a garden supply to guide your watering. If you do not have a drainage hole, you can drown the roots of the plants.

Make sure you have the pot in its final location (be very sure) before filling. - Obviously!

Good luck.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #9

Location: SE Michigan, zone 5/6 depending on winter intensity
Rewards Points: 72

HotRod, your profile doesn't state your location, so other posters had no way of knowing. Their answers about freezing and other weather issues were general and appropriate.

As to the water bottles, I've been gardening since I was a child, but never used bottles of water in urns or containers. Actually, I wouldn't be too quick to rely on gardening advice from one of the big box stores.

I've used small pebbles as Joe suggested or broken crockery (especially broken clay pots), which allow water to drain through the urn and out the bottom, which is what you want. Otherwise, the roots could become waterlogged.

Given that your urn already weighs 100 pounds, you could avoid adding extra weight and create height at the same time by placing smaller clay pots upside down in the urn. That also allows you to just place another pot with flowers or foliage directly on top. It won't add as much to the weight as stones and chards.

Remember that different containers release moisture at different rates - the good old clay pots release much quicker than plastic, which tends to hold moisture. Styrofoam is right in the middle for moisture release time. I'm guessing that your urn is some type of clay with a finish over it. That finish might cause moisture release to be slower.

Just cautioning on this because some plants can't tolerate containers or urns that hold too much moisture. Begonias are in this category.

As to keeping the urn cool, I've never heard of using water bottles. I think the substance of which the urn is made, plus the obvious issues of sun/shade placement would make more of a difference.

Last edited by NorthernWinds; 06-08-2015 at 12:58 PM.
NorthernWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement