Window And Door Trim Width Vs Baseboard And Crown - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Window and door trim width vs baseboard and crown

Hi all, I’m new to the forum. Glad to be here.

We have an older home that was built in the early 70’s. I want to replace the trim in the house eventually, and I’m wondering if the door trim and window trim should match the width of the baseboard and crown width typically. Right now the baseboard is on the thin side in terms of width, but if it was to match the door and window trim, then we would be limited as to being able to increase the door and window trim in width. Thanks!
ajwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,406

Re: Window and door trim width vs baseboard and crown

Nothing cut in stone about a homes wood work. Most people try to keep their woodwork in "period" for the home, and to keep with its existing door/window design. IE: The standard 3.5 inch tall baseboard for the 70's ranch style home will look terrible in a 1930's Brownstone, as they were built with large wood work.

Crown mold profile and height should be considered while taking the height of the room in consideration. Anything over a 4 inch tall crown used on a 8 ft. ceiling height room, makes me feel like the ceiling is squeezing down on me.

It is all about keeping the wood components "dimensional" in sizing, to the rooms surrounding fixed dimensions. Such as, no 5.5 inch tall baseboard abutting to a 2.250 in. wide door casing.

Type in your browser "woodwork for houses" and then images. Lots of homes to be seen with various wood work in them, to help gauge your likes and dislikes. JMO
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Our window/door trim width is 2.25 and our baseboards are 3.25. Would really like to go up some on the baseboard width though and then also have a crown that is appropriate. Thoughts?
ajwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement