Who Else Likes To.... - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ktownskier

Old 03-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,526

Who else likes to....

This is for the DIYers in the crowd. Contractors may laugh quietly to themselves. In the corner.

My wife and I are bargain shoppers. Whenever we go to Target, we always hit the back end caps.

The same applies to Home Improvement stores and lumber yards. We also go to re-sell stores like Habitat and thrift stores. Even Craigslist and Facebook.

We are very careful about what we buy. We know what is good quality and what prices are and what to look for.

Sometimes we find something that is either an incredible buy or just too good to pass up. But we have no current need for it so we put it in the garage for later use. (I found a Velux 14" round tubular skylight at Lowes for $35. I figured I could put it in the garage roof if nowhere else. It actually rang up at $3.50!! I wish there was a couple of more.)

Or, we are looking for something for a specific purpose, like a vanity or doors to replace the ones that are in place. No idea of what we want, just that we know we need it.

We found one to fit in the Master Bath that was a display unit at Home Depot. A $740 vanity with a top and backsplash. And even a mirror. I talked them down to $250. There was a big scratch on one side, thankfully, it is on the side that will face the wall.

At Lowes we came across some interior doors that were a special order return. 5 Craftsman style 3 panel doors in 28" and 30" widths. They were hollow-core doors but the price made up for them. $7.58 ea. They sell them in other stores for $142.80.

We needed 2 additional doors in 24" size. A couple of weeks after getting the doors we looked on Craigslist and found 2 of them for $50.

I also go through the "cull" pile and grab what ever I can find. 2'x8' 3/4" furniture grade plywood. 2x lumber in various widths and lengths.

Last week, we came across a 14" x 24" Pella window. Non-functioning but we got it for $25. We wanted something for the stairwell and I thought that this would be a perfect fit.

We also do it with appliances, we got a 5 burner KitchenAid gas stove that sells for $2159 for $100. Granted, it had a big dent on the side. And a knob is a bit hard to turn. However everything works. And the dent is next to a cabinet.

So, do you do bargain shopping?

Would you buy scratch and dents?

Do you look for stuff online?

What do you look for that you find something else that will fit and at a greater price. Do you switch?

What new skill have you learned to complete a remodeling project so that you could afford a much better product than what was in the budget, but it is the one that you have always wanted?
ChuckF. likes this.
ktownskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement