To Whitewash The Fireplace, Or Not To Whitewash The Fireplace!? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Canarywood1

Old 03-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

To whitewash the fireplace, or not to whitewash the fireplace!?

Hello! My husband and I recently purchased a house.

We recently painted the walls "Windstorm" by Sherwin Williams - it is a medium gray color. We have been debating white washing the fireplace to give the room a more contemporary look and to mute the very dark red/orange/black brick. I am looking for opinions! My goal is to brighten the room up and make it more inviting yet still have the fireplace wall be an accent wall.

We are also laying gray slate colored tile around the fireplace with gray grout and gray laminate flooring. It is Pergo "Sterling Gray" from Lowes. Please give any or all opinions you may have! Thank you very much!
tceddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #2

Re: To whitewash the fireplace, or not to whitewash the fireplace!?

In my personal opinion, i think its going to be too much gray and it will become very bland and boring. I think the whitewash on the fireplace would look nice against the gray walls but you may have to break it up with a more wood style floor if you are putting all that gray tile with gray grout around the fireplace. This is only my opinion so take it for what it's worth.
Good luck with your project

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Jamie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,862

Keep in mine that once brick is painted or Whitewashed it is very hard to reverse.
If i were going to change the color i would use a mineral coating. Take a look at Keim Silicate paints very high end and very good for brick and masonry.
You could also check with Edison Coatings, Inc. & Cathedral Stone Products these companies also have mineral coatings.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,251

I'm not a fan of painting brick but sometimes the brick is just too ugly and dated and need to be covered. I've whitewashed brick the old fashioned way using hydrated lime and it always turns out great.

Or, you can do like my neighbor. Build a huge custom home with expensive and very nice looking brick only to latex paint all the brick bright white a month later. I still cannot believe they did that.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:50 AM   #5

We did something very similar to our house and love the result. It was a basement room in need of brightening and it worked. I would suggest offsetting the grey palette by adding 1x4 or similar size base trim in a semigloss white to match fireplace. Any built-in shelves or bookcases to match as well. I will attach photos of our later
keithwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,036

Brick should NEVER be painted, your inviting never ending maintenance, and there's NO going back.
ChuckF. likes this.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brick , fireplace , whitewash