What Is This In Shower? Any Ideas How To Cover It And Tile? Thanks - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joecaption

Old 12-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

What is this in shower? any ideas how to cover it and tile? Thanks

Trying to move this to kitchen and bathroom section. Sorry

Hi,

We dont really know why its there, im assuming the tile cracked or rotted with holes or something. Its been there for over a decade and i want to clean it up for holiday visitors. I really dont want to take it off because i recently sealed a gap so i dont even want to see what might be living behind it right now. I dont have money for my handyman. This is a spur of the moment thing. Any ideas to make it look better?

Is there any kind of thin material or peel and stick paper that can survive a lot of water? I do have some unused backsplash tile but im not good with this stuff and dont want to risk it falling off while guest use the tub.

Also is there any product to shine or reglaze the pink tile. It looks dull in spots after over 40 years but my salute to whomever did it...its amazing the tiles have lasted this long.

Also im open to any inexpensive suggestions to cover tiles as other bathrooms blue tiles have lost some c color after pulling acrylic cover off.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
What is this in shower? any ideas how to cover it and tile? Thanks-20161211_131047.jpg   What is this in shower? any ideas how to cover it and tile? Thanks-20161021_094556.jpg  

Last edited by jigsaww; 12-16-2016 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Trying to move this to kitchen and bathroom section. Sorry
jigsaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,896

Re: What is this in shower? any ideas how to cover it and tile? Thanks

http://www.homedepot.com/s/tub%2520enclosure?NCNI-5
One of these would be the next best way to fix it.
The best way would be to get rid of all that old pink tile unless your into the retro look.
Any form of peel and stick is going to fail and look like poop.
ZTMAN likes this.
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,054

If it was me and I wasn't replacing all the tiles, I'd remove whatever is around the shower valve and replace any rotted drywall or whatever hack repair that was done behind it. That would be a good time to fix or replace the shower valve if it's leaking. I'd then very carefully remove a row of tiles to install around the shower valve. I'd add some type of boarder or decoration tiles (different colors/mosaic/etc) to replace the tiles I salvaged. Be advised that not all 4" tiles are actually 4". Always plan ahead and double check things before starting.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 36

Thanks for the reply, to my knowledge there's no leaks. Judging from some near by tiles im assuming the rig was done because of cracked tile i cant think of any other reason.

Im just trying to cover it up til after the holidays. Ive never done drywall or tile.
jigsaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,054

Since you don't have experience, I'd just clean up that area and paint it. The paint should hold up for awhile.

There's something going on with your shower valve. You can see that the hot water knob is very crocked. Could be a bent stem.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 17,896

Any access behind that wall?
If I had to make a guess someone replace that whole assembly from the front side, (main reason I think that is because all the knobs and spout look new) or it's very common for those old two handle to leak at the seams and rot out the wall and someone did a half a** patch job.
Advertisement