What To Do With This Ugly Column? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 636

What to do with this ugly column?

The staircase used to lead to this column but it was re-arranged as you can see the way it is now. So now, we're left with this ugly column in the middle of the house. It's just textured drywall.

The top beam supports the entire upstairs putting a steal beam in would be too much $$..

Any suggestions on how it can be wrapped? Perhaps at the same time, I can install wainscot in the dining room right behind it. The column is 7x4.5 and is 8ft tall. Could I remove the drywall from the column and trim it out?

dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 272

There's all kinds of different details you could add to change the look. Quite often I'll send customers to Google Imagines to look for design ideas. https://www.google.com/search?q=inte...FUftHgod7UQP9Q
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-05-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,756

I don't know if a round column would work there or not. It might take up too much space and look gaudy. I mention that because with a rounded column you can do all sorts of faux paint finishes.......marbleing, rag-rolling, just to name a few that can make it look like something other than a supporting column.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

thanks for the info. Round won't work, as you said it'll be too big. I wanted to keep it as small as possible hence removing the drywall and wrapping it would save me 1/2" or more.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,652

Gymschu a round false column would work. It would have to be made to have the inside opening the size of that column that is there. I would not even think removing the Drywall is necessary. The only issue is that they are going to most likely loose 4" around the column and maybe 8" at the base.

The other issue is that it is on the edge of the drop floor, so it would look really odd. I would find someone locally that could make it look better then just the finished square column.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #6

My thought is that removing the drywall, I can rip 1/8" plywood down and put it on to create the smooth surface then trim it out using various mouldings...

problem is with the rectangular shape and small area to work with on the small side, I'm not sure which design would make things look proportional.

I'd be happy with something like the column 3rd from the left.

Last edited by dannieboiz; 11-05-2015 at 05:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dannieboiz For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-06-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannieboiz View Post
problem is with the rectangular shape and small area to work with on the small side, I'm not sure which design would make things look proportional.
It doesn't have to be rectangle. You could square it off, it's pretty much wasted space between the post and the landing anyway.

I don't see the need to replace the drywall with something else if it's doing to paint. Can't tell from the picture but if there's a texture on there it can be sanded off. If stain grade is what your looking for, well then that's different.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

it has knock down texture on it at the moment. Does all 4 sides needs to have matching profiles? The 4" side may not look right with a larger molding piece
Old 11-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #9
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,368

just my OP, I would leave it as is until you can do a major remodel and put in that beam and remove the column. It is plain but it matches the rest of the space.
If you make the column bigger, it will cause some molding issues with the step down.
If you make it smaller, will your flooring cover the new gap?

Maybe just decorate it?
Old 11-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #10

when you say decorate it? You don't mean hang stuff on it right? Or did you mean trim it out?

btw: We actually just had a renovation and didn't think of the column then it started to look so annoying. lol
Old 11-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
when you say decorate it? You don't mean hang stuff on it right? Or did you mean trim it out?

btw: We actually just had a renovation and didn't think of the column then it started to look so annoying. lol
I would just trim it out with some trim and see how it looks. You could even do it through Google Sketch-up or Gimp.

Even if you were to put a Steel Beam in now or during the redo. That would have to be one hefty sized beam, which means that every time you walked down there. You would probably hit your head. Even then, you would still have to have support columns somewhere along the line.

When they did the Crowne Plaza here in Springfield, IL. In order to not have any support columns in the middle of the main ball room. They had to put in practically a 3'-4' I-Beam to support the floors above and carry the load down on the ends with about the same sized Columns.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Does all 4 sides needs to have matching profiles?
All the four sides have to do is make you and the other half (assuming there is one) content. There is no "industry standard" on how your post is suppose to look.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
dannieboiz (11-05-2015), gregzoll (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #13
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,368

there is always Christmas lights! That will give you 2 months to figure out a better plan!
gregzoll (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
there is always Christmas lights! That will give you 2 months to figure out a better plan!
So true.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,744

What should have been done, is the lower landing on the stairs should have extended further into the room and incorporated that column into the railing. That way you would not have ended up with the little 12" lost space between the column and the landing.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckF. For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement