What Do I Do With This Wood Ceiling? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By de-nagorg
  • 2 Post By Canarywood1
  • 1 Post By Str8AheadInc
  • 2 Post By woodworkbykirk
  • 1 Post By calliefrog
  • 1 Post By calliefrog

Old 05-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
Question

What do I do with this wood ceiling?

I'm closing on a home in a couple weeks. The living room needs a little help. I'm planning on whitewashing the brick and painting the walls gray with white trim. What I'm currently flummoxed about is what to do with the ceiling. It is covered in these thin rough wood strips. There's an area where someone tore out a built-in where it looks like the strips are probably held up there with some adhesive.

What is the best solution that will look good? Painting over them? Tearing it all out and painting over that (is there any hope of that being a smooth enough surface once I tear it out)? Just putting some other material over the wood?
Attached Thumbnails
What do I do with this wood ceiling?-1283750094413526276-account_id-1.jpg   What do I do with this wood ceiling?-3750535884646541961-account_id-1.jpg  
calliefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,576

Re: What do I do with this wood ceiling?

Hang dry-wall up there , right over the wood, fill in where the tore our built in was with thin plywood to keep it even with the rest.

Then tape and mud the drywall, and paint it your choice of color.

ED
joecaption and Nealtw like this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
calliefrog (05-29-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,036

Not a good idea to paint those bricks, there's no turning back once it's painted.
SPS-1 and joecaption like this.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Not a good idea to paint those bricks, there's no turning back once it's painted.
Do you have a better suggestion? The brick is very dated. What I was planning was a whitewash technique like this:
Attached Thumbnails
What do I do with this wood ceiling?-whitewash.jpg  
Old 05-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
Professional

Rewards Points: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Hang dry-wall up there , right over the wood, fill in where the tore our built in was with thin plywood to keep it even with the rest.

Then tape and mud the drywall, and paint it your choice of color.

ED
What he said ^^^^.
de-nagorg likes this.
Str8AheadInc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Str8AheadInc For This Useful Post:
calliefrog (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,578

that ceiling doesnt look very flat... i wouldnt hang drywall directly to it, i would strap the ceiling first with 1x4 16 o.c and then fasten drywall to the strapping.. it will help even out the ceiling making for a better finish
jlhaslip and Gymschu like this.
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliefrog View Post
Do you have a better suggestion? The brick is very dated. What I was planning was a whitewash technique like this:

Did you ever whitewash the bricks? I have brick on the outside of my house and would be interested to know how yours came out and what you used. Thanks
joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:14 AM   #8

Talking

I did! I like how it turned out. It's fairly subtle and looks maybe a little whiter than shows up in pictures, but it did what I wanted, which is get the orange tones out. I mixed half and half flat white paint and water. Painted it on, let it soak for 30 sec or so, then dabbed excess off with a towel. If I felt it needed more white, I repeated the procedure. I worked in small sections at a time. Took me 2 or 3 hours.

The rest of the room is a disaster, still . The wood on the ceiling came off with very little issue. The black underneath it that I was afraid was glue, was just white paint. It was up there with strips of glue as well as nails. It took one morning with a couple helpers. I decided I'm going to put beadboard up there.

We also completely scraped the walls of its paint and spanish texture. Boy, that was a job... We're at a standstill right now as we need to widen the doorway and move a lightswitch which has a setup that is too complicated for us to fool with. Then we'll skimcoat the walls, paint, and put up the beadboard.
Attached Thumbnails
What do I do with this wood ceiling?-before-brick.jpg   What do I do with this wood ceiling?-whitewash-brick.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to calliefrog For This Useful Post:
joeg679 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #9
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,486

You could also try sacking the brick, just google sacked brick, it is a form of antiquing.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:38 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,774

Hi Callie and thanks for the follow up pictures, always nice to see how projects progress. And I'm sure you understand why they are called projects.

Still not sure what the black ceiling is, is it sheetrock? The reason I'm asking (some assumptions here) is that the ceiling (if attic above) needs to be the air barrier, rigid and in contact with the insulation. Bead board will have seams making it difficult to seal and keep sealed over the years. If the existing ceiling is sheetrock then it can be air sealed and as long as the structure below it doesn't create a any holes then it should be fine.

As for the fireplace, have you tested it with a fire and did it draft ok? Besides being negative in terms of providing heat if the firebox isn't built right they become smokers.

Enjoy your project.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #11
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,368

Quote:
The wood on the ceiling .......... I decided I'm going to put beadboard up there
If you stain [or not] and apply 2 coats of poly/varnish [sand between coats] before you nail it up you'll save yourself a lot of time. It's quicker/easier to apply the stain/poly on sawhorses!
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Hi Callie and thanks for the follow up pictures, always nice to see how projects progress. And I'm sure you understand why they are called projects.

Still not sure what the black ceiling is, is it sheetrock? The reason I'm asking (some assumptions here) is that the ceiling (if attic above) needs to be the air barrier, rigid and in contact with the insulation. Bead board will have seams making it difficult to seal and keep sealed over the years. If the existing ceiling is sheetrock then it can be air sealed and as long as the structure below it doesn't create a any holes then it should be fine.

As for the fireplace, have you tested it with a fire and did it draft ok? Besides being negative in terms of providing heat if the firebox isn't built right they become smokers.

Enjoy your project.

Bud
The ceiling is sheetrock, it just had the wood boards glued/nailed to it when we bought the house. I'm just going to nail/glue the beadboard to the existing sheetrock. There is also a second floor above this room.
Bud9051 likes this.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
If you stain [or not] and apply 2 coats of poly/varnish [sand between coats] before you nail it up you'll save yourself a lot of time. It's quicker/easier to apply the stain/poly on sawhorses!
Definitely painting before we put it up and touching it up afterwards!!
mark sr likes this.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliefrog View Post
I did! I like how it turned out. It's fairly subtle and looks maybe a little whiter than shows up in pictures, but it did what I wanted, which is get the orange tones out. I mixed half and half flat white paint and water. Painted it on, let it soak for 30 sec or so, then dabbed excess off with a towel. If I felt it needed more white, I repeated the procedure. I worked in small sections at a time. Took me 2 or 3 hours.

The rest of the room is a disaster, still . The wood on the ceiling came off with very little issue. The black underneath it that I was afraid was glue, was just white paint. It was up there with strips of glue as well as nails. It took one morning with a couple helpers. I decided I'm going to put beadboard up there.

We also completely scraped the walls of its paint and spanish texture. Boy, that was a job... We're at a standstill right now as we need to widen the doorway and move a lightswitch which has a setup that is too complicated for us to fool with. Then we'll skimcoat the walls, paint, and put up the beadboard.
Nice, looks great.
joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #15
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 2

I doubt if you tear it out it will be smooth. 95% chance its not. Tearing out will be the best option, then fix the sheetrock and texture. Or, you could always paint over it and see how you feel about it. Make sure you dont try to roll it out, a sprayer will be needed.
gking707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement