What To Do? Framing Issue - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 05-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

What to do? Framing issue

I have a house built in the 1950s and the washer and dryer are in the kitchen. I wanted to move them but now I'm at a crossroads. I measured a space and it appeared it would fit. On the left hand side of the exposed framing picture, there is a jack stud holding the door header. Behind that is the king stud which sticks out just over an inch out of the adjoining wall. This king stud is structural so I can simply cut the inch out. Is there a way to brace it and add studs in that wall to help support the load? If I can remove the one inch, my current w/d will fit. The 3rd and 4th picture is a close up of the previously mentioned jack and structural king stud.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
theryanodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2018, 02:29 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,470

Re: What to do? Framing issue

Just to be clear in a header situation is the jack that is doing the important work.
How have you determined this is a bearing wall.
If that is a header it can be made longer so both studs are in that wall.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Just to be clear in a header situation is the jack that is doing the important work.
How have you determined this is a bearing wall.
If that is a header it can be made longer so both studs are in that wall.
I've got support beams bracing to the top and a support column underneath it. The jack studs are only holding the rest of the framing that was for the doorway. The top plate is doubled up and running across the entire top.
Picture 1: under house
Picture 2: close up of framing on left hand side of picture 3
Picture 3: reference for picture 2

Removing the jack studs and header is fine but leaves me 1 inch short. The top plate is supported by the 4x4(left side) and 4x6(right side).

I've left the header in case this doesn't work and all I need is to redo the drywall.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
retired framer

What it looks like to me is a normal non bearing door sill with an extra stud added to make room for the trim in the corner

If the wall on the left is load bearing it will have a stud every 16 inches and stuff is added for this wall or door. They may have built the wall in question on added a 2x6 behind it for drywall backing or they may have assembled 3 studs in a U shape with the bottom of the U facing your stud in question in either case you have lots in that wall.
Cut some drywall away on each side and see all the lumber in there.
What you are looking at is a common plan mistake where the plan shows a door size and the framer builds as drawn but it always gets changed after the fact to get the frame of the door 3 inches from the corner.
Yodaman likes this.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,885

If the wall you removed the door from is not a bearing wall I doubt that removing that single stud will hurt anything. See Neal's post above this one.

Whats above this area? Any supported load would come from above. Code today would require an absolute minimum of a doubled 2x6 header over the door for a bearing wall, but in the 50's a doubled 2x4 for such a small width would have been okay.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #6
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,368

I won't sit here from the comfort of my lazy boy and tell you that isn't a load bearing wall, but if it were, both ends of the header would be under a jack stud.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
I won't sit here from the comfort of my lazy boy and tell you that isn't a load bearing wall, but if it were, both ends of the header would be under a jack stud.
There are "joist" from the roof to the stud on the left. There is also a column underneath it The ones on the right are fine where they are. I needed the stud on the left to be flush with the drywall and it sticks out just under an inch. Both jack studs were on top of the bottom plate that is common to the "load bearing" column.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theryanodom View Post
There are "joist" from the roof to the stud on the left. There is also a column underneath it The ones on the right are fine where they are. I needed the stud on the left to be flush with the drywall and it sticks out just under an inch. Both jack studs were on top of the bottom plate that is common to the "load bearing" column.

All the bottom plate tells you is the studs were put in before the plate was cut out for the door. Can you get a picture of the load from the roof.
Your picture of under the floor we can see the duct that might come up in the back of the closet but with out orientation it is hard to see what you are looking at.
If you can get up in attic for a picture, take a shout 2x4 with you and try to place that above the door way in question or parallel to it or something.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #9

Both the angle joist and vertical are connected to the roof. The vertical appears to come down exactly at my problem stud. The other is after I removed the drywall in the old closet space on one side of my problem stud.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #10
retired framer

The bearing wall is the one with the picture to the left side. Take a big hammer and beat the up wright over so it is on the other wall. Move the angled one over and nail it to a ceiling joist.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #11

So put a vertical joist on the right hand side and move the angled over so it falls on a different wall? The other wall doesn't have the support column under it so my question is, wouldn't that take the load from a direct vertical load and just distribute it across the top plate back to the original wall?

P.s. I appreciate everyone's insight. First time doing a remodel like this and it is fun but the lack of knowledge makes me very thankful for everyone on here.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:00 AM   #12
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theryanodom View Post
So put a vertical joist on the right hand side and move the angled over so it falls on a different wall? The other wall doesn't have the support column under it so my question is, wouldn't that take the load from a direct vertical load and just distribute it across the top plate back to the original wall?

P.s. I appreciate everyone's insight. First time doing a remodel like this and it is fun but the lack of knowledge makes me very thankful for everyone on here.

Board like that are often put up in the roof structure as building aids but when they are left there no one want to take the chance and say it is not needed. But as the wall next to your stud has joists running over it looks more like a bearing wall so the braces should have gone to that.
Couldn't tell what they were bracing but the angled one is often going to the gable end to push against wind and they are usually just nailed to anything that they reach The upright is usually just holding up the ridge until all the rafters are up and holding it. But like I said move them, don't remove them as we are not engineers.
BTW a header would need a jack stud on both sides which you don't have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement