What 2do When You Can't Use A Joist Hanger? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2018, 05:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 104

What 2do when you can't use a joist hanger?

I'm literally in the middle of removing a load bearing wall and replacing it with LVLS. I'm following the plan given to me by a structural engineer I hired. The plan requires me to cut into the ceiling joists and place the new header up against the subfloor of the floor above, then use a LUS28s to support each of the freshly cut 2x8 joists.

One of the columns supporting the new LVL beam will be resting on an exterior wall of the house, on top of cinder block. The problem is there's a ceiling joist running just to the inside side of the exterior wall. Put another way, if you imagine a finished exterior wall this joist would be running less than an inch beyond the drywall towards the inside of the house. There's no way I can properly use the LUS28 joist hanger to attached the 2x8 to the header. There's no room to swing a hammer especially when you consider that this joist hanger requires the nail be sunk in at something like a 45 degree angle.

image of joist hanger:
http://www.woodboardsandbeams.com/do...ar_nailing.gif

I've been calling the structural engineer for over a week now, but the guy is very slow to check his messages and get back to people, but I really need to move forward. How can I support the joist when I can't use a joist hanger?

Last edited by petermole; 08-07-2018 at 05:38 AM.
petermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,844

Re: What 2do when you can't use a joist hanger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermole View Post
I'm literally in the middle of removing a load bearing wall and replacing it with LVLS. I'm following the plan given to me by a structural engineer I hired. The plan requires me to cut into the ceiling joists and place the new header up against the subfloor of the floor above, then use a LUS28s to support each of the freshly cut 2x8 joists.

One of the columns supporting the new LVL beam will be resting on an exterior wall of the house, on top of cinder block. The problem is there's a ceiling joist running just to the inside side of the exterior wall. Put another way, if you imagine a finished exterior wall this joist would be running less than an inch beyond the drywall towards the inside of the house. There's no way I can properly use the LUS28 joist hanger to attached the 2x8 to the header. There's no room to swing a hammer especially when you consider that this joist hanger requires the nail be sunk in at something like a 45 degree angle.

image of joist hanger:
http://www.woodboardsandbeams.com/do...ar_nailing.gif

I've been calling the structural engineer for over a week now, but the guy is very slow to check his messages and get back to people, but I really need to move forward. How can I support the joist when I can't use a joist hanger?
It's a wonder full life.
He will forgive you for not getting the nail on an angle. the other nails can be poked thru a piece of cardboard to hold in place and if the hammer doesn't fit use the back or the cat's paw nail puller as a hammer.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018, 06:28 AM   #3

Nealtw,

Thanks for the help. I know you think I'm overthinking this project (as you mentioned in my other thread), but those joist hangers are engineered to work a certain way so if you don't put the nails in properly they won't support the same load. In my case I've got three 16" LVLS bound together create a 20' header so the load is considerable. In this case the only room I'd have to work is 3 1/2".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,826

I haven't followed your whole project but if you can get a screw in there I would use a Tapcon and call it a day. There are few screws tougher than the Tapcons and being only on one side (if I understand correctly) there should be no loss of support.

As for support you mentioned a 2x8 so there shouldn't be that much of a load.

They also make single sided joist hangers
https://www.google.com/search?q=sing...jOpxnHQwSTCAM:

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,466

No matter where and or how difficult it is, when nailing or screwing, a 1/64" hole bored for the nail or screw to follow has advantage written all over it. If you have never done this a little practice in a inconspicuous place can be advantageous too.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. After almost a week of leaving messages, I managed to get ahold of the structural engineer by calling him at 7:02 am my time. he he

Basically he told me what Bud9051 told me. Use a right angle joist hanger, in this case a Simpson Strong A35. I'm actually pretty impressed these little brackets are rated to hold as much as they do.

SeniorSitizen, I'll keep the pilot hole in mind.

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,838

If I'm following this correctly... It sounds like you need a palm nailer.
Advertisement