Water Leak Test - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 10-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 39

Water Leak Test

Usually, a water leak test is done after a PVC linear or similar type of protection is finished being installed (this I've done). However, in my case with a PVC linear and after the mortar bed has been created and dried, is it safe to do another water leak test?

It seems once the mortar bed is created on top of the PVC linear and has dried (easily over a few weeks in my case), it is thereafter tiled over. However, is there any negative effect to performing a water leak test or simply running water over the mortar bed prior to tiling?

In looking around on the internet, I only ever see a water leak test done prior to the mortar bed being laid. Yet, what about after the mortar bed?

I would think it would have no effect on the mortar once it has cured and dried, but just asking to see if someone says otherwise?
JasonCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,406

Re: Water Leak Test

I would assume you must be worried that when laying down the mortar, a trowel blade may have cut a hole in the liner ? Otherwise, if it did not leak before the mortar bed was done, it should not leak after the mortar is done.

But its your shower, and if it will allow you to sleep better, wet it down. It gets wet over the years from water soaking through the tile grout anyway. So if it getting wet now hurts it, better to find out now. . JMO
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2018, 04:52 AM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,584

Re: Water Leak Test

The mortar slope will get wet. That is a given fact. The PVC liner's job is to direct that wetness to the drain via weep holes. Rest easy. Too much testing will only make you crazy.
Orawczyk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement