Wall Tear Out - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79

Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Wall tear out

I just found this site so figured I'd bring my questions here. I just bought a new house and my wife wants a wall removed, so we removed the Sheetrock and called for a contractor to give some advice. After he looked at it he confirmed that we could remove the wall. After removing the wall the floor feels a little bouncy if you jump up and down on it (2nd floor). Now to explain the wall. There were 2 8' wall sections one coming off each side of room then about a 4' or 5' foot opening between them. The wall in question had no header over the opening just 2x4s, and the wall was not attached to the floor system over head. You could grab the wall and shake it back and forth no problem (meaning in my eyes that it wasn't resting on the wall anyways). Would like to get some advice on what everyone else thinks about it or if someone knows of a structural engineer near high point nc that they would recommend. The span is 32' front to back and the first floor ceiling and roof system are all one truss system the bottom chord is 2x10.
Attached Thumbnails
Wall tear out-img_2646.jpg  
Megactd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,390

Re: Wall tear out

What is the distance between the walls now and are they 2x10s or 12s
Can you tell why some are going the other way.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 05:10 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,310

Would your wife be ok with a header going across that area? Obviously it would need to be supported on each end but most of the wall would be gone.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 05:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,406

Something going above that wall removed also, that required those doubled up joists to be blocked perpendicular to the other floor joists ? A roof line change maybe where the bearing wall above got extra load put on it. ?

Mark nailed it. But I bet my next meal that she will not want a header dropped down and I don't miss a meal. JMO.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
What is the distance between the walls now and are they 2x10s or 12s
Can you tell why some are going the other way.
Distance from front and back wall is now 32ft. All the trusses go the same way the boards going side to side are where there are dormers in the roof line so the trusses are doubled then they have boards going side to side between them. They are 2x10

Wife and I would definitely rather not have a header but if thats what it comes to then it will have to be there.

Last edited by Megactd; 02-21-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,574

The floor above seems to have been added. Note in the background you have 24" trusses. Is there a stepdown to this area above? If the trusses were modified to allow this flooring, then the wall was added to account for the now missing truss support. There's more to this flooring configuration than we know about.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Something going above that wall removed also, that required those doubled up joists to be blocked perpendicular to the other floor joists ? A roof line change maybe where the bearing wall above got extra load put on it. ?

Mark nailed it. But I bet my next meal that she will not want a header dropped down and I don't miss a meal. JMO.
Nothing was moved above or changed. Those doubles are blocked due to there being dormers above that perpendicular blocking.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megactd View Post
Distance from front and back wall is now 32ft. All the trusses go the same way the boards going side to side are where there are dormers in the roof line so the trusses are doubled then they have boards going side to side between them. They are 2x10

Wife and I would definitely rather not have a header but if thats what it comes to then it will have to be there.
Now I see, they are bonus room trusses and we are looking at the bottom cord.

Usually they are made to span the distance but I have never seen them made that long. I would think you would measure from wall to wall upstairs to get the floor span. single 2x10s at 16 ft are bouncy. Looks like you have more than that.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
The floor above seems to have been added. Note in the background you have 24" trusses. Is there a stepdown to this area above? If the trusses were modified to allow this flooring, then the wall was added to account for the now missing truss support. There's more to this flooring configuration than we know about.
The floor above wasn't added the truss system was made to have livable space. There are no 24" trusses maybe the picture just isn't real clear. There are no step up or downs.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #10

2 more pics after wall was removed. You can see on the Sheetrock wall where it used to be. Sorry about weird angle that is looking up at the ceiling
Attached Thumbnails
Wall tear out-img_2651.jpg   Wall tear out-img_2652.jpg  
Old 02-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #11

Can get more pics of specific areas if needed
Old 02-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
retired framer

Quote:
Can get more pics of specific areas if needed
I would measure up the trusses and find a truss company to talk to for suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Wall tear out-truss-built-relam-3.jpg  
Old 02-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I would measure up the trusses and find a truss company to talk to for suggestions.
Thanks for the advice. My trusses kind of look like those except my bottom chord stays same all the way across and the truss doesn't cut into my ceiling height. The room above its floor span is around 14 to 15 feet
Old 02-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #14
retired framer

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. My trusses kind of look like those except my bottom chord stays same all the way across and the truss doesn't cut into my ceiling height. The room above its floor span is around 14 to 15 feet
15 ft is close to max with 2x10.

If the flexing is just in the 15 ft you might sister them with 2 x 12s.

An engineer explained another fix one time that I have never seen done.
He suggested a flat 2x4 with one screw holding it in the center, then pressure up that center 1/4 to 1/2 inch and finish screwing it there.
He said that would create more crown and act like a upside down T beam.

If the flexing can be found in the trusses at the ends perhaps sheeting the triangle at the end of some of the trusses would stop that movement.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #15

To stiffen up the floor would you guys suggest a 2x4 c channel steel or 9 1/4 lvl? Would like to find a way to stiffen it without losing ceiling height if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement