Wall Bearing Wall Removal / Pass Through - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip

Old 03-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Wall bearing wall removal / pass through

I have a 10 foot wall in between my kitchen and living room that is holding the third floor joists. I would ideally remove it completely or at least do a large pass though with bar top and seating.

Im curious as to how much weight this wall actually has on it. above the kitchen, to one side, is two full bathrooms, with the joists spanning 12 ft. To the other side is a bedroom with the joists spanning 12 ft as well.

Thing is. on the first level, there is no wall underneath this wall.

no interior walls are supporting any of the weight of the roof.

Are there any reasonable options to accomplish what I hope to?

What other info would be needed to figure this out?
jaigordon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Wall bearing wall removal / pass through

That wall is carrying a minimum of (the length of the beam) times (half of the joist length) times (the specified floor load) plus any roof load which can be determined by an inspection of the attic.
So, 10 feet time 12 feet is 120 square feet at 55 lbs per foot. (40 lb Live and 15 Dead) Plus any floor load which we don't see based on your details. ie: trussed roof would be zero, stick framed roof would be considerably more.
Adds up to 6600 lbs + roof loading.

The best that can be done is to get an Engineer or competent Framer to inspect the situation on site.

There may be a structural beam in the Floor system which is carrying the load to ground. We also can not see that.
Mike Milam likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 03:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 12

I had a similar issue last year. I busted my head about it for a while, but then I decided to rely on one of the architecture firms in Melbourne, since that's where I live, of course. But I am sure you can find professionals in your area.

I ended up removing the entire wall that separated the kitchen and living room, because it wasn't one of the main walls, luckily. Now I have a magnificent open kitchen!

However, if that's not possible with you, you can bust big enough pass, of course, but it's best to check with your local professionals.
UforUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,464

You will find a beam in the floor below the wall, could be a flush beam that can not be seen with out some digging. Duplicating that beam and bearing posts will be a winner.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement