Walk Out Basement - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guap0_

Old 11-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

walk out basement

I have purchased a flat land. Looking to build the viceroy invemere home but want a walkout look facing the road. Contacted an excavator but no report yet on costs. Wondering your ideas for creating walkout to the front (ie. turning home around so big windows in front with walkout) and garage and front of home facing the rear of property. What do you think the difference in cost will be to make a walkout on flat land?
dinderdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,790

Re: walk out basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinderdeo View Post
I have purchased a flat land. Looking to build the viceroy invemere home but want a walkout look facing the road. Contacted an excavator but no report yet on costs. Wondering your ideas for creating walkout to the front (ie. turning home around so big windows in front with walkout) and garage and front of home facing the rear of property. What do you think the difference in cost will be to make a walkout on flat land?
We just call that slab on grade and depending on soil condition can have a little different meaning in different places but you still have to have the footing below frost level which is set for your area.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #3

what is excavations costs for 1700 sq foot home with and without walkout on flatland?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinderdeo View Post
what is excavations costs for 1700 sq foot home with and without walkout on flatland?
The rates would be different all over the country and depending on what is the normal in the area. Where I am we would dig the whole 1700 feet out to a level hole plus 5 ft all around for working space. That dirt would be hauled away except for what is need for back fill. He would also have the job of underground services that might need to be installed, backfilling and compacting after the foundation is in.

This seems to be strange way to start a house, have you not got a set of plans yet?
Old 11-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
This seems to be strange way to start a house, have you not got a set of plans yet?
Absolutely. That was my question too.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #6

Thank so much for your input. We are working on the prints at the moment but I am acting as the general contractor. The builders will be building to weather tight structure on our foundation. They have asked if I have a quote on excavation so that I don't blow my budget with this design as the building lot is flat. I will get a quote for excavation but was wondering if the costs were significantly higher for walkout on flat land. Thanks for your input appreciate so much as I am an amateur but am quickly learning.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

I wouldn't do anything until you have plans, in your hand. That will help you prevent blowing your budget.
dinderdeo likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guap0_ For This Useful Post:
dinderdeo (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
retired framer

general contractor, amateur, builder. If you don't mind me saying, you are in trouble already.
General contractor, responsible for coordinating sub trades and quality of work getting them paid in full before the deadline so no liens are added to the property.
He is responsible for scheduling work and inspections in a timely matter so the sub trades aren't loosing time between stages of the job.

Builder, a loose term usually means general contractor. You need a legal definition to stay out of lien problems or you take responsibility for his work and pay him in full.

Amateur, home owner, best be a fast and eager learner.

Budget, that word makes me think bank builder loan, is the land paid for in full.
Most bank loans officers don't know the trap they lay for a home owner, most of the time.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 4,212

https://www.improvenet.com/r/costs-a...cost-estimator
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 14

I have a walk out basement. Its a 30 degree angle from the front of our house to the back. I would start with a general contractor.
JonEhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 316

The excavation costs are not really important in this scenario. Trying to put an exposed basement on a truly "flat" lot will cost you far more than a few thousand dollars in the long run. What you need is a drawing of the lay of the land with existing elevations/contours. A surveyor can easily provide this, or you could try to get a hold of a laser to establish the existing conditions..........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement