Wainscoting Over Tiles - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

wainscoting over tiles

Hi all,

So I'm a little stuck. I am not sure what is best solution here. The situation is as follows: I'm redoing my bathroom and instead of pulling down all the tiles (I know a sin) I am putting PVC Wainscoting over it. Recently a lot of people have been doing this and as long as it is sealed well, there have been no mold issues.

The real issue is around the tub. Before you ask, it is just a tub, no shower. There is a recessed tile soap dish. Its flush with the wall. Since it will be covered with PVC wainscoting, this is probably not good to leave a cavity, is it? My questions: Can I fill it, maybe with thin set or hydraulic cement? Should I cut it out and replace it with tile? Or just leave it alone and cover it? Any suggestions?

Pictures attached. Feel free to ask questions. I have links to the pvc wainscoting product I am using if you wish.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
wainscoting over tiles-20160406_235731.jpg   wainscoting over tiles-20160406_235723.jpg   wainscoting over tiles-20160406_235707.jpg  
chach816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 10:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

Re: wainscoting over tiles

Not sure where your getting your "lot's of people are doing this" info.
Not sure what you hope to gain by doing this that way?
How would you even keep it stuck to the tile?
How do you plan on dealing with the added thickness around the fixture?
I'd be far more concerned with that old stained tub.
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

-Joe, thanks for responding! I've seen a number of people on pinterest and HGTV do this (I know it doesn't make it right, but its worked so far).
-They have had good LASTING success by adhering the wainscoting to the tile with liquid nails.
-I have to emulate their success, as I hate the look of the tile. This is a solution that fixes the look without having to completely gut the bathroom.
-The thickness of the wainscoting over the tile isn't too bad actually. The product sits on a bottom rail and has a top rail as a cap. This allows me to make it really less noticeable. I've roughed it in once to see how it looks and its a good fit! It actually doesn't affect the bath faucets at all!
-Finally, the tub isn't actually stained, its just really dirty. Its covered in some drywall/concrete board dust from a couple of wall patches I did earlier in this project, as well some plops of paint and Spackle. Its really nice once its cleaned. The lighting in the picture makes it look 10 times worse, so fair question.

Thanks
chach816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 114

Without getting into why someone would want to install wainscot, it would be fine if you bricked it up. Yes, stick half a brick or whatever fits, pack it with mortar, then give it a couple of more coats--skim it---after it dries, so that it is flush.
RickMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tile , wainscoating