Undermounts And Laminate Countertops? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By huesmann

Old 06-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 58

Undermounts and Laminate Countertops?

I'm fairly confident you can't do this, but is there a way to pair an undermount sink and a laminate countertop (aka formica-ish)?

We're wanting to move toward a full kitchen reno, and it would be great on the budget if we could hold off on the nice stone countertops a bit. We're open to a laminate in the interim, but I'd really like to be able to transition to a farmhouse-type of sink (which is undermount). That's bad for the particle board substrate, but can you order them with a wraparound laminate, or apply edging, or some other treatment that would work?
gpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 11:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Undermounts and Laminate Countertops?

You can glue strips of laminate around the edges and the underside of the countertop, and trim them with a trim router using a flush trim bit. The chances of successfully sealing the joints at the corners of the laminate are not good, though. It's a lot of work for something that will end up being temporary; you'll have crumbling particle board in no time.

The only way around it that I could think of would be to very carefully cut the particle board back away from the edge past the lip of the undermount, remove the particle board without breaking the laminate, and then attaching strips of hardwood to replace the particle board you removed (contact cement for the top; wood glue for the back), and finish the wood with a good quality finish, such as a spar urethane (others may have better suggestions for the finish).
HotRodx10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 06:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,264

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodx10 View Post
You can glue strips of laminate around the edges and the underside of the countertop, and trim them with a trim router using a flush trim bit. The chances of successfully sealing the joints at the corners of the laminate are not good, though. It's a lot of work for something that will end up being temporary; you'll have crumbling particle board in no time.

The only way around it that I could think of would be to very carefully cut the particle board back away from the edge past the lip of the undermount, remove the particle board without breaking the laminate, and then attaching strips of hardwood to replace the particle board you removed (contact cement for the top; wood glue for the back), and finish the wood with a good quality finish, such as a spar urethane (others may have better suggestions for the finish).

They make a trim ring for this situation. Obviously has to be specific for your sink, and I have no experience with them, but here you go...

http://fabricatorssupply.net/catalog...Seal-SMALL.pdf
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10,800

There are a number of YouTube videos where people have done that.

One thing you may want to consider is to independently support the sink on the cabinet framework, rather than relying on screws into particle board or plywood.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:38 PM   #5
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 900

We did butcher block countertops with an undermount sink. Sealed with Waterlox. Five years in and it still looks great.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
dj3

Rewards Points: 1,368

I only do over the counter sinks, and the main reason is: I want to counter top carry the weight, not the drain pipe.
dj3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,422

The counter top does carry the weight; if the clips fail, the drain pipe really doesn't have enough strength to hold the sink up.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:18 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
The counter top does carry the weight; if the clips fail, the drain pipe really doesn't have enough strength to hold the sink up.
I was thinking of the same thing. The drain pipe might get damaged if such heavy weight came up on it.
Alexx005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10,800

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
if the clips fail, the drain pipe really doesn't have enough strength to hold the sink up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
One thing you may want to consider is to independently support the sink on the cabinet framework, rather than relying on screws into particle board or plywood.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Maybe you didn't understand that I was commenting on dj3's post.
SPS-1 likes this.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement