Is Two Better Than One? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 07-21-2017, 03:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 82

Is two better than one?

My house has a nice finished basement, but the upstairs originally had three small bedrooms. The house is a old 50's style brick bungalow and is 11,000 sq. foot upstairs. These homes in my neighborhood all were made with small bedrooms. We turned one of the bedrooms upstairs into a dining room. The other two was already converted into one larger master bedroom. There is two bathrooms, however there is only one bathroom upstairs and it is in the master bedroom.

It worked fine for my husband and I. however I always dreamed about doing a add on. We used the one bedroom upstairs for us and the two bedrooms downstairs was a office and a guest room. My husband became ill and passed away. I needed the money as it is much harder now that I am on my own so I rented the two bedrooms downstairs. Now I really miss the guest room and I was thinking turning the one bedroom upstairs back into two bedrooms.

Here is how it would work, the guest bedroom would have a full bed, dresser, nightstand and a very small leaning desk. It would have about a 30" walkway on the sides and about 38" at the bottom of the bed. It would also have a 28" closet, about the size of my coat closet.

The master would have a queen bed, two night stands, dresser and also a tall narrow dresser. There is a little over 3ft walkway on the sides and a 4ft on the bottom of my bed. There would also be a 60" closet with barnwood doors. This would be a downgrade from my 115" closet that I have now. If I did two bedrooms the bathroom would no longer be awkwardly in the bedrooms and I could also gain a linen closet.

My question is would it be good for resale value to have two tiny bedrooms, than to have only one larger bedroom upstairs? I keep going back and forth, one minute I am excited about two bedrooms, because it was my dream that I had at least two upstairs, but I am also afraid I may regret in. Love to hear your opinion on if two is better than one? I keep saying to myself, why do I need a large room. I can still access all of my furniture and I just sleep in there. I would have to lose my large desk and my Barcelona chair if I went with two bedrooms. Thanks so much for reading this! The pictures do make the room appear smaller than it actually is and they do not show the middle of the room, but yes, still small.

The picture with the bed side will be bigger, because that closet will be gone and the new closet with dip into the guest room.

Last edited by Ann34; 07-21-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Ann34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 05:48 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,322

Re: Is two better than one?

Generally more bed rms is better than less BUT it would be best to talk to a realtor, they know more about what potential buyers will be looking for in your neighborhood and price range.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,266

Either way could appeal to people.

I'd say it would be a 50-50 split.
Nik333 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Generally more bed rms is better than less BUT it would be best to talk to a realtor, they know more about what potential buyers will be looking for in your neighborhood and price range.
I like Mark's idea.... but I'd talk to several realtors.

We have an area in Denver with 1950's homes being redone... primarilly for young (pre-family) millenials. I'd keep the big bedroom there... it's a seller.

Conversely, in a family oriented area, definately the extra bedroom is a likely positive.

But, all in all, you have to consider your personal preferences also... you only live once.

Good luck
Old 07-22-2017, 01:57 AM   #5

Thank you everyone for your replies! The one thing I do hate about the one bedroom, is guests have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. MTN- I live in Denver, the Harvey Park neighborhood. Houses are selling very fast here and there is not many for sale. Many are remodeling. I put a ton already in my home. Most houses here have two to three bedrooms upstairs and one to two downstairs. Small sq. ft. though. Do you do construction or know anyone that could give me a bid? Thanks everyone!
Old 07-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #6
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,322

It's always best to get multiple local quotes and check their references!
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:06 AM   #7
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Either way could appeal to people.

I'd say it would be a 50-50 split.
I reread your first post. I misunderstood your "upstairs" reference.
Around here, upstairs is the second floor.

Bungalow should have been a clue, DOH!
Sometimes, I sleep at the wheel.

Having guests walk thru the bedroom to use the washroom would turn off, I'd say 95% of prospective buyers.

I think your plan is good and as it has been suggested, multiple quotes and get references.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:20 AM   #8
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,594

Is 11,000 square feet really the size of the upstairs? That's a McMansion in itself. What is all the room dedicated to, if not bedrooms?
Old 07-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 276

I would keep the one big bedroom and put in a bathroom for that bedroom
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann34 View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies! The one thing I do hate about the one bedroom, is guests have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. MTN- I live in Denver, the Harvey Park neighborhood. Houses are selling very fast here and there is not many for sale. Many are remodeling. I put a ton already in my home. Most houses here have two to three bedrooms upstairs and one to two downstairs. Small sq. ft. though. Do you do construction or know anyone that could give me a bid? Thanks everyone!

Ann..... Wish I could help you out.... but actually I've retired and moved almost two years ago to warm country in southern Nevada and nearer the grandkids/children.

I raised my family for 30 years in the foothills Genesee/Evergreen/Lookout and consider Colorado my home and just can't come to giving up my last vestiges to Colorado and change my location/address in my background reference.

I do know Colorado is going gangbusters... I will always miss it... you'll love it.

Good luck.... and GO BRONCOS
Old 07-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 152

I would look cost vs resale value. Determine what the house is worth as is and then 'IF' you make the changes your talking about. Then get several proposals on the remodeling. You may find you will lose money making the changes. Sort of like having your car repainted to sell, you would never recover the cost.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Is 11,000 square feet really the size of the upstairs? That's a McMansion in itself. What is all the room dedicated to, if not bedrooms?
LOL, you think I could find the space for the extra room. I meant to say 1,100 square feet.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for your advice. My sister came over today and her boyfriend and her think I should not do it, that the big size modernizes it and they love it. I guess I could hold off and save to do a add on. I will still ponder it. If I did a add on, I could take the bathroom out of the bedroom and add a second bathroom into the add on. I would have to take out a loan though. I am very curious when doing a add on is it cheaper to lay the foundation and add out or raise the roof and add up?
Old 07-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #14
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,594

Unless the framing and foundation is already stressed for an additional floor, doing it from the ground up is somewhat cheaper. Some buildings are not meant for added floors. That is where a structural engineer comes in handy.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:56 AM   #15
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Add on is probably cheaper.

I just did my project which started as an add on a second floor and I ended building a brand new house.

There is another bonus for add on.
Less grass to cut.
Advertisement