Trouble Drilling Out Broken Screws - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Trouble drilling out broken screws

I'm trying to remove the screws from my deck. Most of the ones that don't immediately strip out just break off as soon as they start to turn. They don't appear to be deck screws, so they're all rusted below the surface. I had no luck with those easy-out screw removers, so I'm trying to dill out the heads (I would just leave them and put in good screws next to them, but almost none of them are flush with the surface).

The problem I'm having is that the drill chews through the head pretty quickly, but then seems to just stop moving and polish the hole (pic below). Is there some trick to it that I'm not getting? I'm using a cobalt drill bit that's made for drilling hard metal. It's 5/32", which is just bigger than the screw shaft. Do I need a harder bit? Do I need to use oil? Do I just have to keep pressing down and wait for it to make it through? There are over 1000 screws in this deck, so I'm really hoping that's not the solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble drilling out broken screws-20160918_132135-1-.jpg  
jcorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,932

Re: Trouble drilling out broken screws

Forget the drilling. Drive a small chisel between the board and the joist to create a small gap. Slip your sawsall blade in that gap and cut the screw. After you have a board up you can drive the screw out with a punch from the cut side. You may have to get up under the deck to get started. You could also use a small pry bar to create the gap.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,912

Are you trying to save the boards?
If not a bar like this will pull the boards right up, screws and all.
http://www.gutstertools.com/
I use two of them and two people, it goes really fast.
Amazon has them, I bought mine from Northern Tool.
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,550

Forcing screws in takes seconds with drill drivers and hammer drill type equipment. Removing them often takes a bucket of patients and sometimes hours with specialized tools.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,042

just put a plug in after you get the screw out.

http://www.rockler.com/screw-extractor
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 20

It didn't occur to me to just pull the board up and push the screw out. I don't think any special tools will be necessary, since the screws pretty much just snap off. I'll try that when I have a chance.

But if anybody knows the answer to my original question (why I can't drill the heads off), I'd still like to hear it. I've watched videos of people doing it, and they don't seem to be having as much trouble as me.
jcorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,140

5/32" is a pretty small drill bit and I suspect it gets dull very quickly. A 1/4" would take the heat better and take the head right off. Never cared for that brand, too much marketing and not enough quality. Test one of those bits on plain steel. Then remember, those screws are far harder than plain steel. After one stops cutting, test it again with the plain steel and you will probably find it has lost its edge.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,550

If we knew the heat treating process of the screws we may be able to give you an answer to your original question.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 09-18-2016 at 07:22 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement