Transporting Laminate "Sheet" - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 525

Transporting Laminate "Sheet"

I'm improving my shop and will surface the particle board work surfaces I've been living with for a number of years with laminate. I don't own a truck so I'm wondering how I'm getting this stuff home.

I notice one box store sells it in 96" x 30" sheets. I don't suppose the stuff is supple enough to for into a "big" roll such that it would fit in the back seat of a full sized passenger car? (Unfortunately, just got a new car and it does not have the fold down rear seat feature...)
Curmudgeon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon10 View Post
I'm improving my shop and will surface the particle board work surfaces I've been living with for a number of years with laminate. I don't own a truck so I'm wondering how I'm getting this stuff home.

I notice one box store sells it in 96" x 30" sheets. I don't suppose the stuff is supple enough to for into a "big" roll such that it would fit in the back seat of a full sized passenger car? (Unfortunately, just got a new car and it does not have the fold down rear seat feature...)
Yes it will, that is the way I always transported it, (truck or van) make sure the good side is inside so it won't get scratched. Let the store people roll it for you, if they won't be sure to put stiff cardboard on the edge where the twine wraps around or it will split the HPL.

When you open it at the shop be sure to hold it good so it don't just fly open, it can cut you or it can break. Watch the edges of that stuff, especially after trimming or ripping, it is like a razor. The rolled HPL will usually be about 18 inches or bigger in diameter.

One more caution, watch the corners of the HPL when loading in your car, it can catch and tear the seats.

OK, just one more thing, don't leave it rolled for a long time, it will retain a memory.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 01-05-2015 at 07:29 PM.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Curmudgeon10 (01-05-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,184

Thanks for the info Jim. I will give that a try too. I just ordered some laminate and will have the same issue when it comes in in a couple of weeks.

(I actually talked to one outfit that ships sheets UPS -- they said the roll them up to 10" dia and put it into a box. I didn't quite believe that was possible with the .050 laminate I was looking for)
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
Curmudgeon10 (01-05-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #4

Great suggestions! Thanks very much.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Thanks for the info Jim. I will give that a try too. I just ordered some laminate and will have the same issue when it comes in in a couple of weeks.

(I actually talked to one outfit that ships sheets UPS -- they said the roll them up to 10" dia and put it into a box. I didn't quite believe that was possible with the .050 laminate I was looking for)
They do roll it pretty tight, I was always afraid to roll it that tight. Watch that stuff when you cut the box, I always hugged the roll tight, then cut the restraints. That way I could release it to unroll easy, don't cut or score the HPL when cutting the restraints, it could pop, rolled that tight.

Get it flat as soon as you can, it will hold the curl for a while, especially if left rolled up.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post

Who was this shipper? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:00 AM   #7

http://www.cabinetmakerwarehouse.com/

Myself, I found a supplier local. But its a special order color, have to wait for it to come in.

Last edited by SPS-1; 01-06-2015 at 06:03 AM.
Curmudgeon10 (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #8

Price of material on that site very competitive. Cost of shipping: Ouch.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #9

Mine just came in. It was already rolled up and in a hex shaped cardboard box, 18" A/F. The box was 56" long, which is a little too long to fit across my back seats, but I was able to snip the ends of the box and lose a few inches.

I bought the same laminate once before, when I first made my entertainment center. I think it came in in flat sheets, but to tell you the truth, I am not positive. I must be getting old.
BigJim (01-16-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 144

Jim is right on.I get bunches of rolls at a time from my supplier that are rolled in many lengths and widths.Can't stress enough to have a good hold on it when cutting it loose and make sure you allow enough room for it to roll out.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-16-2015), Curmudgeon10 (01-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement