Top Plate Obstacles For Interior Wall - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By carpdad

Old 02-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Top Plate Obstacles for Interior Wall

Hello all, I am planning on framing walls for a new basement bedroom. There is some ductwork and PVC along the ceiling that prevents me from attaching the top plate directly to the joists. What can i do to work around this? How can I secure my top plate? Here are some pictures. (the one with the white piece of wood in my hand shows where the top plate will be) Thanks, hope to find some answers here.
Attached Thumbnails
Top Plate Obstacles for Interior Wall-img_2024.jpg   Top Plate Obstacles for Interior Wall-img_2026.jpg   Top Plate Obstacles for Interior Wall-img_2027.jpg   Top Plate Obstacles for Interior Wall-img_2028.jpg   Top Plate Obstacles for Interior Wall-img_2031.jpg  

Top Plate Obstacles for Interior Wall-img_2029.jpg  
Kmobasement is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 PM   #2

Re: Top Plate Obstacles for Interior Wall

I would frame it like you would a half/pony wall. Then frame up where you can to support sheetrock and help stabilize the wall.

It will be a pain to sheetrock and mud.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
snaple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2019, 11:46 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,748

Like this
Attached Images

NotYerUncleBob2 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,844

The portion of the wall below the ducts is just "stepped" down. Then you just provide some kickers from that top plate to anywhere in between the ducts to attach to the joists. May need some blocking between joists to attach the kickers to if they do not fall on a joist.

In that 1st picture it looks like that round to rectangle is missing some reducers and just partially taped shut.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks for the replies. Based on what i'm reading, I gather my best route to take would be to have the top plate be below the ductwork and find a way to brace it, as much as possible, to the joists through the gaps in the ductwork (via "kickers"). Any tips on the best way to do this? Should I just use 2x4 or are there some metal options? I think the space by the pvc pipes is not enough for a 2x4.

Nealtw : I see your picture of a soffit ladder. I intend to build a soffit around the ductwork on the ceiling, but my question is how to build the wall portion under the ducts. I can't see the interior wall end of the soffit in your picture. I see it ending on a concrete wall but can't make out how the top plate is braced..

3onthetree : Thanks for the framing advice, that makes sense! What would you recommend using for "kickers" to brace my low top plate to the joists? Also the circle to rectangle duct was connected with slips and drives and then metallic taped over.

Thanks everybody, I definitely match the "newbie" definition and appreciate all your comments.

Kmo

Last edited by Kmobasement; 02-21-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Kmobasement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,472

Using metal studs, metal flanges can be beaten flat and maybe slipped between the obstacles. Then for the stud, about 2" of flange can be removed and the remaining can be bent to screw into. You can also do the same to make blocks for joist bays. Then make flat bars or twist it to fit. However it works so the top of the studs is fixed. This may move around by itself but the drywall should hold it together. Use extensions for the screw driver, predrill holes in the metal studs, bars, etc and screws can be driven in at an angle and not sunk. Whatever works. Above bar to the stud flange. Little braces.
Kmobasement likes this.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
Kmobasement (02-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement