Which Tile Shower Pan System To Use? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 636

Which tile shower pan system to use?

I'm getting ready to redo our bathroom and would like to have a tiled shower pan floor using river rocks the shower size is 33x42. Going to have frameless glass shower doors. After searching around, I see Schluster which more involving but only cost about $500 for the kit and then there's Wedi which I was quoted $1100 for the kit plus a few other items which will come out closer to $1300.

Are there any other systems out there you can recommend for a DIYer?
dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

I like and only used the Kerdi system the past 10 years. Ditra installations and Kerdi water-tight showers were my specialty. Ask any question, I think I can handle it, if not there's several others here that can help, and it's free right now.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
dannieboiz (11-04-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #3

Is there a standard on how wide the curbs are? the included curbs are 4.5" by the time I add the 1/4 tiles, I'll be 5" wide. Can I trim it down by an inch?

My other concern is the foam curbs. I'll be having frameless glass shower doors. I don't know how well it can support the weight of the door and say if my kids lean on it or something.

Last question, I see the kits come with a squared drain, are the round drain an optional item only? But the squared drain might be easier to tile with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannie
Is there a standard on how wide the curbs are? the included curbs are 4.5" by the time I add the 1/4 tiles, I'll be 5" wide. Can I trim it down by an inch?
The curb is 4.5" cuz that's the width it's supposed to be....the standard thickness of walls so everything flows nice.

In the end it'll be wider than 5", more like 5 " or wider. Cut it down and you'll make it weaker.

The foam curb and tray, (if you're using a tray), is strong and will not compress when the tiles are set. We drove a hi-lo over a pan to test it while at one of the workshops. You're confusing point load as compared to a load spread out over a large area. Follow directions and it'll work exactly as they say.

You want a square drain grate for obvious reasons.

Jaz
Attached Thumbnails
Which tile shower pan system to use?-img_5868.jpg  

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
oh'mike (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #5

Ok you got me, I'm ordering a kit! I'll be back with more questions I'm sure.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #6

one more question, for a 33x42 shower, do I want the 48x48 center drain or the 32x60 shower drain kit? 48x48 seems to be a little more expensive.

I assume the 32x60 is the pan size plus the 4.5" curb which makes it 36.5 before tilling?

My total shower size is 33x42 curbs included. I do have room to make it slightly wider but not longer.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
Tileguy

You cut the tray to fit your space. If it's short on one side, you fill with deck mud. How about you post a pic of the area? Center drain? Post your approx. location in your profile too, it'll come in handy before we're done.

Jaz

Old 11-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #8

Here you go...

Notice the door to the right, it will be removed and the wall blown out to open up the "shower room" to the rest of the bathroom as seen in the end result sketch.

Also, the price for the niche seems outrageous. Do you build your own or bit the bullet for it?

and hopefully once done....

Old 11-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #9
Tileguy

Thanks for the pic. Gee.......I have no idea why anyone would want to change that!

Is this on a slab? Formed niches cost how much.......$40-65? What have you seen? I used to have to charge $175-250 to install and tile one, which actually was too cheap. Buy a pre-made one unless you want something weird.

Jaz

oh'mike (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #10

This bathroom is the master bed upstair bath that's why I'm nervous of doing this any leaks will mean Im remodeling downstairs as well which I just did. LOL
Old 11-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #11
Tileguy

Unless you have no skills and don't bother to understand what to do, you can make Swiss Cheese waterproof with Kerdi. It's waterproof and water tight.

Yes, that's a Kerdi cooler made with a regular cardboard box. I think it was built in '01, pic taken in late '09. It's probably still in good shape. Call Schluter and ask.

Jaz
Attached Thumbnails
Which tile shower pan system to use?-img_8511.jpg  

Old 11-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #12

couple more questions..

When putting the kerdi the wall, how high should I go? I'm tiling up to the ceiling but I guess 5 or 6 ft is enough?

The 32x60 kit comes with 108sq ft,

assume I did 6ft high, 3x4 wall takes about 60sq ft plus 12 sq ft shower pan, I have approx 36 sq ft left for part of the bathroom floor...

I've never done an upstairs bathroom before, for my kitchen, I screwed hardibacker on the subfloor then tiled right over it. Do I do the same for the upstairs bathrooms and use the left over to protect the area around the showers only?
Old 11-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #13
Tileguy

Schluter would like you to Kerdi up to the showerhead. You can go lower or all the way. Some people do a hybrid to save cuz they think liquid membrane is cheaper. The main thing is the floor with drain and at least up a couple ft. I never bothered to do hybrid to save 50 bucks.

BTW a 3x4 shower base can not be done with 12 ft. You use the Kerdi Ban too. Kerdi is not for floors. Ditra is for floors.

Xplain how you plan to install Hardie, step x step.

Jaz

Old 11-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #14

For the kitchen, I laid out the 1/4 wonderboard on the plywood overlapping the plywood seams. Screwed down each board using the appropriate screws according to the spacing on the boards, then tiled right over it....

Thinking about it, I assume this is not going to be appropriate for the bathroom cause I would need to seal the seams of the boards in the bathrooms...

notice I said wonderboard and not becker cause that's what I actually used in the kitchen. Prefer it over becker board since I can handle it by myself.

Would it be too extreme to lay the wonderboard then redgard the whole thing?

Last edited by dannieboiz; 11-06-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #15
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,260

Sorry for throwing a wrench into the works....but another option is hot mop. It's about half the cost.

This is more of a CA thing. They work well. But not well in the north and NE where you get real cold temps.

Look at any house around you....chances are it's hot mop....especially if it was built 50-60 years ago. The houses in my area are over 65 years old. Most of them have the original hot mop'd shower....and it's still fine. Mine failed because of a water leak in the shower faucets....ruined the wood...floor fell apart....floor of the shower fell out.

It cost me $500 to do two large showers.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement