Tile Redi Shower Pan /bench Question - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
F-16 DIYer

Rewards Points: 29

Tile Redi shower pan /bench question

I set down another one of these Tile Redi pvc shower pans, and I was wondering if anyone here has used (with success) a different adhesive than the epoxy that comes from the manufacturer. I did one a couple of years ago and tiling it was really a pain in the ass. Everything else about it is great, but that epoxy has a working life of about 30 mins before it's all over.

Second question, I bought one of those Schluter styrofoam corner benches for the shower stall, what's the best way to set that on the pvc shower tray? I was thinking just lay a bead of PL construction adhesive, but that's just me making stuff up. The manufacturer's instructions say to set it in mortar, but from what I understand mortar or thinset won't stick to this pvc tray.
qslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

http://www.diychatroom.com/f80/tile-...uestion-33823/
qslim (08-23-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
F-16 DIYer

Thanks Bud, I already read through that thread and it seems to be mostly focused on how to set the pan. I'm good there, it's down solid and level in a bed of mortar.

I was just wondering if anyone has used another product to tile onto the surface of the pan besides the manufacturer supplied epoxy, and also how to adhere one of those Schulter styrofoam corner benches to the PVC shower base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by qslim View Post
Thanks Bud, I already read through that thread and it seems to be mostly focused on how to set the pan. I'm good there, it's down solid and level in a bed of mortar.

I was just wondering if anyone has used another product to tile onto the surface of the pan besides the manufacturer supplied epoxy, and also how to adhere one of those Schulter styrofoam corner benches to the PVC shower base.
I think I explained in that thread that the epoxy was a ridiculous idea and how I used KERDI Mat to line the pan so that I could then use thinset for the tile like a normal person would. Those pans have to be dealing novices fits all over the place.

The bench can be installed using KERDI-Fix.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

I cant stand those pans. The slope sucks.

Although I didn't have trouble with the epoxy. I want about to experiment on other methods and void the warranty.

I'm gonna read the other thread and see what Bud has in mind. So far he seems like a true pro who loves his craft and getting things done the right way.
ChiTownPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
F-16 DIYer

Yeah, it's not ideal. I ended up just using the epoxy again. It's not the end of the world, but regular thinset is just easier to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement