Tile And Bamboo Flooring - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 42

Tile and bamboo flooring

Appreciate any input. I'm having a home built in a subdivision by a builder. As most know they limit you on your selections, cabinets, flooring, paint colors. Their builders grade cabinets especially did not meet what we wanted in color and we wanted pull out shelves. We decides to let them put in basic cabinets (which I will use in the basement later)and loose laid linoleum except at the entry. They use 5/8 OSB sheathing and 12" joist on 16"centers.

We are letting them tile the foyer and I understand they use 1/2" cement board (which I understand offers no strength). I want to keep our floors as even throughout the (Tiled) Kitchen, laundry, breakfast nook,morning room(Not shown but located where patio is) and the Greatroom, dining room which will be 9/16" bamboo. What type of subflooring should I use for those areas I want to tile and install the bamboo over the 5/8 OSB. Also being I'm replacing the cabinets in the kitchen, should I add plywood under them or just tile under them? Don't want to have issues getting the dishwasher in and out.
Attached Thumbnails
Tile and bamboo flooring-pinehurst-i.jpg  
Big Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #2

I can't edit the post for some reason. I looked up the builder site and found the floor joist to be 2x10s on 16" centers and the OSB to be 3/4 tongue and groove. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
RMK

Rewards Points: 16

I believe they should be using 1/4" cement board on the floor. 1/2" is used for walls around the tub. The 1/4" will work fine and support the tile. If you are tiling the kitchen you can use the same thing. Do not put flooring under the cabinets. You should always floor around the cabinets unless using real hardwood. The dishwasher should still fit if the cabinets were made properly. Make sure to tile under the dishwasher. The total thickness of the tiled floor will be around 3/4" so your 9/16 bamboo could be raised with underlayment if it is floating. If not they have glue down underlayment that is about 1/8" thick which should bring it flush. One product to check into for tiling is Ditra. I use that for all tiling projects.
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RMK For This Useful Post:
Big Cat (02-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
I believe they should be using 1/4" cement board on the floor. 1/2" is used for walls around the tub. The 1/4" will work fine and support the tile. If you are tiling the kitchen you can use the same thing. Do not put flooring under the cabinets. You should always floor around the cabinets unless using real hardwood. The dishwasher should still fit if the cabinets were made properly. Make sure to tile under the dishwasher. The total thickness of the tiled floor will be around 3/4" so your 9/16 bamboo could be raised with underlayment if it is floating. If not they have glue down underlayment that is about 1/8" thick which should bring it flush. One product to check into for tiling is Ditra. I use that for all tiling projects.
Thanks RMK, so using the Ditra over the 3/4 OSB will work fine or do you mean add the 1/4" cement board then the Ditra. I've never used the Ditra before but I have read where its used to uncouple the tile over concrete in case of the concrete cracking. I really appreciate your imput.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
RMK

Rewards Points: 16

Use either one not both. I prefer Ditra because it works well and has never failed me. It is used over plywood, osb, or concrete. I did a tile job a year ago over 3/4" osb and it still looks great.
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RMK For This Useful Post:
Big Cat (02-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement