Tile Backsplash Newbie - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2015, 12:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,551

Tile Backsplash Newbie

I did my first tile backsplash today. I was using the little mosaic tiles that come on 12x12 squares of mesh. I was having a problem with a spot that was about 15 tiles wide. I put up a 12x12 piece and that went fine. Then I put a 3x12 piece to finish the row. It didn't quite fit, so I had to squeeze it in a little. That compressed all my grout lines - but only on the 3x12 piece. Now it doesn't look uniform.

Should I have just cut a sliver off that last row? Or would that look funny in a different way? How do I make those grout lines look uniform?
mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 07:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,196

Can you post some photos? That would help us see the problem.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 474

I feel your best bet would be to cut the tile.One other option might be cut that last row loose and adjust it into the pattern.
BrowneBearLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 370

I would shave a little off the last column of your 3x12. It won't look funny.
costgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #5

On a related note, how can I cut a hole for the electrical outlet? Some of the squares are just regular ceramic, but some are glass. The glass ones don't want to cut!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #6

What are you cutting them with? Have you tried glass tile nippers?

Is the pattern in the mosaic random, or is it like rows of glass on top of rows of ceramic? If it's random, you could use just ceramic pieces in places that have to be cut.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #7

I just have regular nippers and an angle grinder and a manual tile cutter. Glass tile nippers? I have not heard of these before. Looks like it might work. Not too expensive either.

Do you recommend separating all the tiles around the outlet, cutting them, and placing them back individually? Or should I try to keep everything on the backing material?

It's a random pattern, and I could make it work with just ceramic tiles, but it has a lot of glass. And I'd like to know how to do it, just for future reference.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #8

Take a razor and cut out enough tiles so you can get the mosaics (whole pieces still atached) around the outlet. Then fill the gaps with individual cut pieces (i.e. no backing). You can use grout spacers and painters tape to hold them in place.

Tile nippers should get the job done for you. Remember that the hole is going to be under a plate, so it doesn't need to be perfect. Use outlet spacers to make the outlet bracket rest flush with the tile, or you can cut the tile such that the outlet mounting bracket rests on top of it (you may have to make a notch for the screw...and you may need longer screws).

And be sure to kill the power to the kitchen when your working around the outlets. The hot wire probably won't kill you but it will wake you up!

Last edited by costgeek; 05-29-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #9

Like this. These pieces are all still attached to the backing. Then cut individual pieces to fill in the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Tile Backsplash Newbie-mosaic.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement