Third Floor Reno/remodel - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Third Floor Reno/remodel

So its more of a finishing project actually.

I have a 3 story townhome, third floor has stair access and is 550 sqft. plan on adding in office and bonus/storage area

Currently it is wired and has HVAC, however the HVAC is run behind the exposed knee wall and then around the rest of the perimeter. The electrical seems to work fine and from what I can tell I would not need a subpanel if adding a few more receptacles.

I have pulled permits for insulation and drywall for energy efficiency which will also help with temps as it is miserable hot up there.

I have had multiple estimates and at this point will try and do a lot myself except electrical most likely.

Currently I am air sealing the roof and walls, planning on pulling up the subfloor to air seal and then put back.

As it was built in 1985 it is not up to living area code and requires 2x10 joist if this is to be done, I plan on keeping the 2x8s in there and just having it as a finished attic space.

Questions:

HVAC-after sealing the floor and everything else how do I test the HVAC up there for leaks I have already sealed some areas with UL tape, but may just replace all flex line with new ones as its all old? Do I need to add another climate zone for this third floor and if so how do I use dampers to do so? Can I throw the HVAC in the room(not knee wall) above the ceiling?

FLOOR-do I have to have 2x10s. it supports al our stuff already. should I at least add 3/4 board versus the 1/2 up there? and do you frame new walls to subfloor?

INSULATION-It has what I guess you call cathedral ceilings, so do I insulate and drywall up to the peak or add framing to drop it down and flatten somewhat? Do I have to use batting to keep airflow from the eves to the vent fan at the top of the roof or can I spray foam all rafters and block off the eves? How do I insulate behind the knee walls...especially with HVAC back there? should it just be sealed and foam boarded?

FRAMING-for the office, I have no clue if I should keep the ceiling as the attic slope or make it dropped to be parallel with the floor? Can you just add treads to the stairwell to finish it?

ELECTRICAL-can I add off existing outlets? Probably going to have to hire and electrician for this.

Thanks for any advice. I will try and post pictures up later
Jmbcary44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #2

Re: Third Floor Reno/remodel

So this has been fairly informative for those looking for info as well
https://basc.pnnl.gov/resource-guide...age=All&=Apply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,912

No pictures and no location so no way to know local codes or insulation needed.
Need way more info.
Soffit venting, roof venting, type of ceiling, no idea what the spans are for the floor joist, egress windows?
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #4

I took some pictures this morning will try and post up today. Wasn't quite sure what is was forgetting. Is in Raleigh NC. 2x8 joists. Built in 85. Span I'm not sure. Maybe 20 plus feet. I'll post pics later hopefully
Old 08-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #5

Here are five of them. I will add more
Attached Thumbnails
Third Floor Reno/remodel-img_2289.jpg   Third Floor Reno/remodel-img_2290.jpg   Third Floor Reno/remodel-img_2291.jpg   Third Floor Reno/remodel-img_2292.jpg   Third Floor Reno/remodel-img_2294.jpg  

Third Floor Reno/remodel-img_2295.jpg  
Old 08-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #6

Third Floor Reno/remodel-img_2296.jpg

Third Floor Reno/remodel-img_2297.jpg

Third Floor Reno/remodel-img_2298.jpg

Third Floor Reno/remodel-img_2299.jpg
DUCT Chase, planning to fireblock
Third Floor Reno/remodel-img_2301.jpg
Old 08-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #7

Just curious due to the above comment from someone else, as this is a DIY forum and not everyone is experienced as one another and is here for advice and help I would think. When someone replies stating how you should have supplied this and that, and then I do so. Seems quick to state faults but then unwilling to help after the fact. Anyways, I digress I am sure there are more of you on here with knowledge to share. Thanks in advance
Old 08-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 232

JMB,
Joe has a rather abrupt manner but he does know what he's talking about. Don't let him scare you off. I don't think I can help you with your project, so I'll leave that to others.
York v45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,132

To be honest, that is a big project and i would hate to miss an important step and get you in trouble.
If I were there, I would start with a design. You mentioned permits for insulation and drywall (never heard of a permit for just drywall, must be CA) but you need that design to find out what work needs a permit. You can also use that design to get some bids to help you decide between DIY and contracting it out. Time and money always need to be considered.

As for taking this on as a DIY, what is your carpentry experience. It is a pain to have to tear something out and start over because you missed a code requirement.

Sorry I can't help more.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #10

Thanks, yeah I have reached out to an old friend in the area who is an architect to see what she can offer in regards to design and advice as well. I know an engineer would be needed for certain things if I was converting it into a living area per code, however when I got estimates for this prior it was in excess of $50,000 on all of them so I have gone the route of permitting for energy efficiency by doing insulation and drywall. This will allow me to still use the area and not have to spend $50,000 on meeting code for adding a bedroom etc.

It will not be a bedroom anyways but it will allow me i'm hoping to have a nice functional area. Right now I am air sealing between floors and roof etc. next I am planning on putting in baffles and insulation and possibly laying new subfloor. I really just want the temperature to stay consistent. As the HVAC is up there currently and I know cold air is going through it as I sealed some leaks already, I'm trying to determine if I should leave it on the floor and box around it or move it into the ceiling. also need to figure out if I should drop the ceiling some with rafters...

As for the experience question...I am not a licensed builder, but do consider myself more than a weekend warrior so to speak. I have helped flip homes in the past for a family business, but I was predominately the labor. this was when I was younger, but it taught me a lot and I still do certain handyman type activities to this day and almost on a weekly basis though it is more building furniture. I've done basic electrical and plumbing and building along with the typical drywall, painting, flooring.

I am just worried about doing it all correct at first as I live here and as you stated I don't want to have to tear anything out. I know I will have two inspections; insulation and finished.

the next two weeks will be slow however as I am am going to be gone a few days and have some late nights at work. Hoping to be able to catch at least a few football game sup there this fall.

Last edited by Jmbcary44; 08-22-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement