Thinking About Adding A Door To Kitchen, What To Look Out For? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash
  • 1 Post By ChuckF.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

Thinking about adding a Door to Kitchen, what to look out for?

As the title says, we've been thinking about adding a door to the back wall of the kitchen with stairs out to the backyard. Mocked up some photos to give a rough idea. For some reference between the photos, the white column on the left side of the indoor photo is roughly where the exterior wall of the addition extends back.

Currently the gate for the backyard is between the end of the addition and side of the garage, just out of view on the right side of the exterior photo. We're thinking of moving the fence to parallel the driveway from the front corner of the garage to the back corner of the house.

Figured that with the fence moved, we'd have a place to keep our garbage cans out of sight and free up garage space, and adding the door there would make coming and going from the backyard and garage much easier in the summer with hands full of food and easier to clear a path to get to the snowblower in the garage and give a straight shot to just let the dog out into the yard without a leash.

What should I be asking/telling an installer/remodeler? I can build the stairs myself. We'll be rebuilding the front steps next summer, so I'll likely design them to match.

Would just need someone to cut a big hole in my house and put a door in, maybe run electrical up to the .The exterior of the house is rolled metal siding, ie no seams, so I'm not too confident about cutting through the wall and getting it right the first time.

I know that there is one electrical outlet to move/remove, so that line could be repurposed for the exterior light. This wall is roughly half plaster lathe and half drywall, would that matter to an installer?
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about adding a Door to Kitchen, what to look out for?-interiordoorview.jpg   Thinking about adding a Door to Kitchen, what to look out for?-exteriordoorview.jpg  
tkpirson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,592

Re: Thinking about adding a Door to Kitchen, what to look out for?

You will need a structured header and to move the electrical that is likely in that wall. Far from impossible but your best bet is to open the wall and be prepared for what you will need to move.
lenaitch likes this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,160

I note that you are south of Buffalo on the prevailing leeward side of Lake Erie. One thing to consider is every time you open the door in the winter, winter and all the things that come with it will come in your kitchen. We had that in a old farm house and it was a pain and harder on the heating bill.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 32

Where we are in Hamburg, the prevailing wind (and the snow with it) comes from the south west, this door is on the north west corner of the house, sheltered from the wind by the second floor and addition. Currently, when we get strong winter winds, they tend to tumble over the top of the house and scoop out most of the deposited snow in that area. I'm sure if we move the fence that pattern will change, but when it comes down to it, snow is snow :P
tkpirson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,754

Plan the opening of the door and the framing so you can put on a storm door too.
tkpirson likes this.
ChuckF. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Nice plan. But where ever you place the door see to it that it is well secure.
BettyMcKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,598

I'd drop a step or short step so the water or melting snow can't come straight in. Since you are cutting into the solid drainage plane, you need to flash and caulk well. Don't caulk to block the drainage.
It's a chance to see if you can build a mud room into the kitchen than just a door. Super convenient would be stairs perpendicular to the deck and a walk path.
Lighting to the path.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement