Subfloor I-Beam Replacement - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Subfloor I-Beam Replacement

We had a pipe that had been leaking for a while where it passed through the floor near an exterior wall of our home office. I have torn everything out to the subfloor and now I need to cut out a section of the subfloor and replace a portion of the I-beam. I have a couple questions I am hoping to get some help with.

First, the I-beam is about 12 feet long but only a couple feet of it has water damage. I am hoping I can cut out the end 1/3 or 1/2 of the beam on the side that the water damage is located on and then sister in a new i-beam portion using particle board fit tightly in the flange on each side rather than replace the entire beam. Will that work and not require a post to support it? How much should I overlap on the sister? Anything I need to be careful of? Even better, would it be feasible to cut out only the middle portion of the joist that is damaged and sister in just that section leaving both of the ends untouched? That would be much easier as I wouldn't have to knock either end of the joist out and then pound the new one into place.

Second, the rotted subfloor extends to under an exterior wall of the house. I will need to get that out as well as replace a part of the baseplate that the rot had spread to. I imagine I will have to cut the bottom 8" or so off of a 2-3' section of the studs to get the flooring and baseplate out. Will I just be able to cut it and then rebuild without worrying about the wall sagging? Or will I have to support it somehow while I work on it? It will probably take me a day or two to get things cut out and then rebuilt - barring any unforeseen issues. Seems that such a small section will be fine and the second story structure will support things fine.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. I would prefer to hire a contractor to do this as I think it would take a total of about two hours for them. However, all of the local contractors are busy with builds or a backlog of projects and I don't know when they would be able to make it out. I've attached a picture of this damaged area to give an idea of what I am talking about.

Thanks,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Subfloor I-Beam Replacement-image.jpg  
snmhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: Subfloor I-Beam Replacement

From your description it sounds like you have a wooden I joist system. I recommend you contact the manufacturer of the I joist for specific recommendations on repair of a damaged I joist, as they will be the most knowledgeable about how to do the repairs correctly.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,890

Re: Subfloor I-Beam Replacement

That picture tells us nothing.
At least need some from under the house so we can see what your talking about.
Advertisement