Stove To Fridge Distgance - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By 3onthetree
  • 2 Post By Gregsoldtruck79
  • 1 Post By Oso954
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 2 Post By Gregsoldtruck79
  • 1 Post By Oso954

Old 08-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 48

stove to fridge distgance

In the planning phase of the phase 2 of the kitchen remodel. Wife wants more counter space and one way to get her more is to move the stove next to the fridge.

Right now there is a 16 inch cabinet seperating the 2 appliances and i thought if i can move that cabinet to the other side than i can give wife almost 30 inches of counter space.

I know you can have a stove and fridge next to each other but if i somehow build an insulated 2xx4 wall would prevent the heat transfer.

Anyone have a good suggestion. thank you
Forrest747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #2
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,844

Re: stove to fridge distgance

The problem with stoves right next to fridges (or walls) is the slop you get on the fridge. And the handles of the pans can't turn that way. And reaching over front burners to get the back pan instead of going around when you have counters on the sides. And interference with the fridge door if you have to stand in front of the stove to open it, or the swing into it if hinged the other way.

If you are doing a kitchen remodel the cabinet/appliance layout should be designed as an entirety to give more uninterrupted counter space.
Oso954 and lenaitch like this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,406

Plus, say a meal is getting cooked on the stove and the cook (or anyone wanting something from the frig) gets in the frig to get out more food. And they need somewhere to sit things, as they pull things out of the frig to find what they want. Hmmm...
Oso954 and lenaitch like this.
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,578

To me, 24" is the minimum distance between refrigerator and any heat producing device. Like dishwasher, stove or oven. You need the room to cook and to dissipate the heat.

As @3onthetree mentioned above, a cooktop generates a lot of cooking splatter/grease. and the closer you put things to the cooktop, the messier it gets.

And of course the heat factor. Even if you insulate against it, you would have to build a stub wall the while way up to get the full benefit. A counter height wall will help of course, but the taller the better. At the bare minimum, a refrigerator cabinet is needed.

The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!
Most of all, have fun! It ticks people off and ruins their day.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,802

Think about bringing home a lot of fridge/freezer items home from the store. Where do you set them down, before putting them in the fridge ?
Or, if you dig multiple items out of the fridge/freezer where to you set them down?

Being right handed, I appreciate the small counter to the right of my fridge (between fridge and stove).
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,742

The biggest problem is the room that the fridge door need to open. I have 1 ft between mine and I would not miss it for a second. Other than any problem with heat I would be concerned about the depth of the fridge and stove and how the fridge door opens.
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,578

Have you considered an island with the range/stove/cooktop there? No idea as to your layout.

One thing I always suggest to those considering remodeling/renovating their kitchen is to have an overall master plan and layout for the design. You can make some changes as things progress but layout of the cabinets and appliances should have been done before teardown started. That way, if you need to order either of them, or even just go with stock, it gives you time to buy and have them delivered.

And have time to play with them in location if you want to.

Not trying to slap your hand, just giving you some insight from having done both major, minor and in between jobs.

The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!
Most of all, have fun! It ticks people off and ruins their day.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #8

it is a small area with 2 doorways and about 12 x 12 footprint, so an island isnt an option although i thought about a movebale island that doubles as a dining area. We live in a 1950 ranch home so not much storage and we love it.

Aquired it after my grandmother passed away. First hing we did is make storage over the stairwell and now the other 2 sides of the kitchen. moving the microwave up is a priority. I thought it would be nice if some larger counterspace could be had.

Someone i talked IRL suggested the 2x4 wall and do a full tile backsplash between the fridge and stove.

Thank you for all your help
Attached Thumbnails
stove to fridge distgance-67715981_2586349618053224_3518265934177370112_n.jpg   stove to fridge distgance-67556009_2586349578053228_6077847390671339520_n.jpg   stove to fridge distgance-67412115_2586350568053129_424152269865353216_n.jpg  
Old 08-05-2019, 04:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,406

One of the most challenging tasks for either a DIY'er or a pro designer, is getting a workable kitchen designed to hold the amount of materials, the owner wants to put in it. No matter how good the designer may be, there is a LAW of Physics that cannot be ignored. And to me that law is... All materials take up a fixed amount of cubic inches or square inches of space".

So the owner has the task FIRST, of deciding what stays in the proposed new kitchen and what will not. Then, the designer (diyer) will have an idea of what they need to install in the kitchen, for the owner to have a functioning and safe .working kitchen.

Sure its tough, finding a place located OUT of the kitchen for something that has been in their kitchen for YEARS. But tough decisions have to be made when only "x " amount of goods, will fit in " x" amount of space. Good Luck with your project !

JMO
Nealtw and 3onthetree like this.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:43 AM   #10
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,372

One thing that stands out, is get the mico off the counter and built in above the stove. That will free up about two feet of counter space.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #11
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,742

I like the plate behind the sink. dreaming in the attic, about a new kitchen.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,337

Man, you really need some cabinet doors.

As far as the fridge and stove, no way would I ever have the fridge (or any vertical wall) directly adjacent to the stove. You need space on either side of it to rest spoons, and bowls and cooking stuff. Never mind elbow room for reaching the rear burners.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #13
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest747 View Post
moving the microwave up is a priority
If you were to put it over the stove you'd have to ditch that cabinet, and it looks like there's not enough space to slide that 30"-36" upper cabinet to the right. Besides, you'd have to spend a minimum $200 on a new microwave with a built-in vent.

How much wall space is next to the stove before the door opening, is that enough room for a microwave shelf? Can you also maybe fit a rolling prep table/baker's rack there? It looks like the door opening faces the cabinets, would it then be wide enough to get by or would you have to shimmy through?

One thing that might need addressed is the electrical. If there is only the one outlet (and circuit) behind the stove, it might not be good to have the toaster and if the black cord is for the fridge, both sharing with the microwave.

Last edited by 3onthetree; 08-05-2019 at 08:48 AM.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #14

As part of the remodel and to this whole house really is upgrading the electrical. So additional outlets will be installed and the kitchen will have 4 circuits not including the lights. (dishwasher/ disposal, fridge, appliance outlets, microwave)

its old plaster so tearing it all out new electrical as stated and then drywall, cabinets and counters.

Building cabinets myself.

Right now in that one outlet is led light and toaster and additonal appliances as needed.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:33 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,802

You are required by code to have 2 20 amp circuits serving the countertop receptacles (aka SABCs).

That makes 5 circuits. That is unless you eliminate the fridge or micro wave circuit. Either can plug into a SABC unless the microwave is an OTR model.

I’d install the 5 circuits.

*Assumes you are in the USA.
Forrest747 likes this.

Last edited by Oso954; 08-06-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement