Stem Wall And Foundation Forms In An Existing Crawl Space - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stem wall and foundation forms in an existing crawl space

Hi Everyone, need your expert suggestions ---

I am building a 2nd story addition and need to build a build a perimeter stem wall and foundation underneath and existing interior wall. THis is all happening in an existing crawl space in a 50 year old home.

So my 2 questions.
1. i cant use a regular "build it bottom up" approach..so here are the steps i was thinking of a) attach the mudsill to the bottom of the existing girders
b)drill the holes for the hold downs from the wall bottom plate through the subfloor, girders, through the mudsills and install the j bolts..with nuts etc. So at this point they are just hanging down from the floor in the crawl space. c) dig the footing to line up with the j bolts d) build forms for the stem wall..but instead of using stakes i would "hang and brace" the stem wall forms from above/using 2x4 braces attached to the existing girders and subfloor. see attached sketch

2. I was planning to pump in the concrete...my next question - do i just drop the concrete in the space between the mudsill and form? should i make a "door" in the form to fit the hose and then close it up when full???? not sure the best way.

Thanks again for the help!
remodelingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 298

I dont see attached sketch
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #3

i am unable to post the picture

i am a "newbie" so diychatroom isnt letting me post a diagram. any suggestions on getting the diagram in this thread would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #4

I will make a few more posts and then the forum says they will allow me to add my picture..3 more to go
Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #5

OK 3 down 2 to go
Old 03-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #6

Hoping this is the last post to get to my "5 required" to post a picture
Old 03-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

Lol I dont get that rule you can always post a link
Old 03-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #8

unfortunately as a newbie i am not allowed to include a link in a post..spammers have ruined everything
Old 03-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #9

http://www.use.com/supersize.pl?set=...5ab1d1e2f42cc8
Old 03-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #10

Justin, so there is the link to the sketch..it is a crude cross section of my crawl space.
http://www.use.com/supersize.pl?set=...5ab1d1e2f42cc8
Old 03-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #11

That is the hard way of doing it. Is this draw up on your plans for project?
Is there a reason you can not just dig piers and and use posts and beam.
If you couldnt do that for some reason i would lay block before I would try a solid wall.
Do you live in california? Is there a reason you need a j bolt going up through floor?
I never seen that before normally just the sill plate is attached with j bolt and floor joists are toenailed into sill plate.
Also by girders you do mean wood floor joists right?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #12

Thanks for the response..and the answers are...Most important is yes the house is in california and yes the plans are done
1. piers and posts hold up the weight the 2nd story now..but, i guess, due to the earthquakes we need lots of shear strength so the engineer has designed about 60 linear feet of poured foundation wall under the existing wall. The existing wall gets lots of nails and 1/2 plywood to provide the shear strength
2. good point about the j bolt..it should go to just the mudsill. My problem is that if i build the wall buttoms up how do i put the mudsill rim joist etc are already in place...seemed better - to my simple mind - to toenail the mudsill with the j bolts already in place THEN pour the foundation under and arounds tThere are j bolts or equivalent that do go up through floor to attach to brackets (simpson HDU type things) that attach the posts
3. the floor for many 50 year old houses around here are 2x6 T&G on top of the 4x6 beams/girders running from one end of the house to the other supported by 4x4 on little deck piers that are on the ground in the floor space.

So the poured wall - 60 feet of it - is required. I am just working to figure out the best order of operation to put it there since the wall, subfloor, sill etc are already there. I have seen people jack up the house but that doesnt seem to make any sense in this case
Old 03-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #13

Earthquakes was the only reason i could think why that would would be required but my experience with earthquakes ends there.
The only thing I can think of is to use a 10" wide form and a 2x6 sill plate. That will give you 4.5 inches for hose to get in there. There is different size hoses from 2-5 inches so you will want to find that out first. Floor joists only being 6" high will make it alot harder to get hose in. Maybe you can notch out 2x6 in a couple places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
crawl space , forms , foundation , stem wall