So I Would Like To Convert This Space Into A Place To My My Pets. - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

So I would like to convert this space into a place to my my pets.

Hello!

I am an owner of four wonderful rabbits. However, they do produce quite a lot of fur altogether, and we can't place them in our regular living areas without getting fur all over our furniture. Not to mention, they make quite a big mess in their cages and it's quite a hassle to clean up, especially since we have guests frequently. This is what the space looks like:

So I would like to convert this space into a place to my my pets.-attic1.jpg So I would like to convert this space into a place to my my pets.-attic2.jpg

(Sorry, it's being used as a temporary space for storage right now so I couldn't remove the boxes. and this was previously an attic space. )

During the day, the area gets very hot, and I would like to place insulation and finish the walls and floors to make it look like a regular house space. However, there are no vents. It's like a closet then. The door sitting next to the first image is a bedroom closet, and it feels room temperature in the closet pretty much. However, there is just no air circulation, and I feel that it would have similar conditions to the space I'm about to build. How can I resolve this issue? Would I need a window unit portable AC? (That'd be a bit problematic though, considering that this is a roof room.) I'm thinking a simple electric fan would do. And in addition to that, how will they get air if I, say, close the door?

Again, this area is just to keep the rabbit's cages, as they make messes outside of their cages that is difficult on carpet. They will have free roam of the bedroom outside. A space is needed just to keep their cages, food sacks, and other items, so it is not part of the bedroom.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I will reply ASAP.
babiebun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 05:26 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

A picture of the outside of the roof would help--the room is hot because the roof heat is filling the room on it way out of the house through the upper roof vents---

Insulation baffles will be needed against the roof sheeting--then fiberglass bats---with a vapor barrier--

walls need proper insulation also---then drywall---

You will need to condition the space---so call your heating guy in before you start---you need heat and air conditioning and perhaps a bathroom exhaust fan ---

Not going to be fast or cheap---
babiebun (06-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #3

Longer and more expensive... Yikes.

Actually, we do have another option of keeping our rabbits, which involves buying a 8x10 shed and converting it to a suitable home. (We live in the deep South, so our summers are very hot and humid.) My dad says that he will convert it into a home that will have insulation that line the walls and a window unit A/C. Rabbits are very sensitive to hot temperatures, so it is important that their area doesn't reach above 85 F.

What will be more cost-efficient in the long run? Converting the space into a room for their cages or constructing a separate shed?

Thnaks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,510

Quote:
Originally Posted by babiebun View Post

Actually, we do have another option of keeping our rabbits, which involves buying a 8x10 shed and converting it to a suitable home. (We live in the deep South, so our summers are very hot and humid.) My dad says that he will convert it into a home that will have insulation that line the walls and a window unit A/C. Rabbits are very sensitive to hot temperatures, so it is important that their area doesn't reach above 85 F.

What will be more cost-efficient in the long run? Converting the space into a room for their cages or constructing a separate shed?

Thnaks!
I would go with the shed, it will also keep the flies and insects out of the house and when the floors are ruined from urine it will be easier to take care of.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
babiebun (06-11-2014), joecaption (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,652

If the wall & door are removed from attic space and sheet vinyl put on the floor along with insulation and drywall you would have a conditioned nook.
babiebun (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,638

I too would build a shed outdoors, mostly for the relief of the smell that any indoor critter creates.

And it will be easier to create the proper environment for the rabbits, by building the shed for that purpose, than it will be to modify your living space to accommodate them.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
babiebun (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:

Thnaks!
Won't the alligators eat them?

Okay, before you get all bent out of shape, let me say: "That was a joke!"
babiebun (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #8

Hi. Thanks guys for the advice.

Anyway, the shed... Gah! I'd really like for my buns to stay inside, but if it is more efficient to put them outside...

(They actually don't smell at all. They're very clean with their wastes, haha. They just like to throw their grass and pellet food and toys everywhere at times, which actually ticks my mum off. )

Anyway, would putting them in the shed instead of remodeling be more efficient in terms of initial and long-term cost? We gotta choose the thriftier option, I suppose. If we install the window A/C and the heater, wouldn't it spike up our energy bills? (Our summers and winters are just a little too hot and cold.) If we remodel the little area, will it share our house's A/C and heating, considering that we do apply the needed insulation and other materials to finish the place?

Aaand...We don't have alligators where I live. Just big, scary mosquitoes. Yuck!

(Apologies if I'm a total newb at this. I'm not that knowledgable in carpentry, sadly. But thanks so much for the feedback, guys! It really helps me! )
Old 06-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #9

My pets live in my house. Just the way it is.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
I am guessing that you have never had a friend with an un modified FERRET.

It is like walking into a skunks den.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Yes, I know! My brother's room is very spacious, and he is perfectly fine with keeping them just in his room. However, my mom has irrational OCD tendencies towards cleanliness. I honestly don't think the shed or the modified closet are worth the cost, but we have to pacify her. The closet spaces are mainly to hide their cages and sacks of food and toys and other paraphernalia, so that they don't break the decoration scheme of her home.

And unmodified ferrets... Oh lord. I've babysat a couple before. The musk is THERE. it's really strong. When I walk into a room, I could never really smell my buns, aside from a subtle stench from their litterboxes if you get really close.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
I am guessing that you have never had a friend with an un modified FERRET.

It is like walking into a skunks den.

ED
I had a friend that had one. He smelled as bad as the weasel if not worse. If bunny rabbits smelled that bad I would put them in the shed........ on the far side of the property ...........down wind.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
Tileguy

Rabbits use a litter box???
Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Rabbits use a litter box???
Yep! They're pretty much like cats (in personality too). And they also lick themselves clean, so I don't have to bathe them. They don't smell like anything because of this. If you really smell them up close, they actually smell a bit like babies.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
Tileguy

Quote:
Yep! They're pretty much like cats (in personality too). And they also lick themselves clean, so I don't have to bathe them. They don't smell like anything because of this. If you really smell them up close, they actually smell a bit like babies.
I'll be darned! WHO KNEW?

So can one buy "Bunny Litter"?
Advertisement