Side Tub Lip - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

side tub lip

We are redoing my mother's bathroom and have a situation we can't figure out. We took out the old tub and put in the new one. The old tub had a top lip but not a side lip and so there was an outside corner right where the tub ended. With this new tub, there is a side tub lip and we don't know how to cover it like we do the top lip. We are going to shim out the studs (the perpedicular wall) to extend the outside corner. We can't go too far, mabey about an inch since the toilet sits right beside this side wall. Since the lip will sit right on this outside corner, we don't know how to cover it like we would do the top lip. I do not want to keep it exposed since it would look weird since you can actually see the material from the tub (fiberglass). We are stuck. I added a picture of the tub lip we are talking about as well a a drawing of what I am talking about to hopefully not confuse people more than I already probably have Any help would be really appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
side tub lip-20160720_063945.jpg   side tub lip-resized_20160719_175251.jpg  
verob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

Re: side tub lip

I would have done one of two things, removed that stud and replaced with a 2 X 6 laying flat, or added a 2 X 4 stud on each of the one that's there now laying flat.
You need something to attach the drywall and some form of shower curtain or door to.
Use galvinized 1-1/4 roof nails to attach that tub to the studs not screws.
You did follow the install directions with that tub to the letter, right?
Some require mortar under the tub to support it.
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 12:02 AM   #3

Well the tub was only dry fitted first and that's when we noticed the lip. The instructions say it's not required but recommended. Should I still put in the mortar bed even if it's on a slab floor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Re: side tub lip

Yes, put some mortar under it---wiggle and press it down--do NOT step inside--you will end up with a hollow bottom when the plastic springs back in place.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:18 AM   #5

Ok thanks. From what I read I'll make piles of motar and press down then level. You don't need a whole lot correct? Just enough for it to spread out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement