Shower Tile Question - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joeg679

Old 10-13-2017, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 270

Shower tile question

I am redoing a shower and I used Kerdi board around the 3 walls and hardiboard on the ceiling because it was cheaper and water won't really hit there. When you adhere tile to kerdi board, the thinset has to be unmodified. I have half a bag of modified leftover from the Ditra in the rest of the bathroom. D

o I have to use the modified for the ceiling tiles to hardiboard or can I use the unmodified to do the ceiling, cover the screws and then do the tile over the kerdi? The reason why I don't want to use the modified is because it's grey and the tiles are white glass. I'd rather use the white unmodified. If I have to, I'll get a bag of white modified for the ceiling. Thanks for your help.
joeg679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,242

Re: Shower tile question

Depending on how old the bag of thinset is, you should just trash it.

It does go bad after time.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
I am redoing a shower and I used Kerdi board around the 3 walls and hardiboard on the ceiling because it was cheaper and water won't really hit there. When you adhere tile to kerdi board, the thinset has to be unmodified. I have half a bag of modified leftover from the Ditra in the rest of the bathroom. D

o I have to use the modified for the ceiling tiles to hardiboard or can I use the unmodified to do the ceiling, cover the screws and then do the tile over the kerdi? The reason why I don't want to use the modified is because it's grey and the tiles are white glass. I'd rather use the white unmodified. If I have to, I'll get a bag of white modified for the ceiling. Thanks for your help.
I don't think kerdi board on the walls requires unmodified, you're thinking of Ditra that goes on the floor. Use grey TS on white tiles, that way when you grout the missed thinset will be easy to spot and can be scraped out and touched up with grout. If you use a matching color TS it's harder to spot.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 118

Schluter does call for either unmodified thinset mortar, or their proprietary All-Set or Fast-Set mortars. See here.

That said, I thought that many glass tiles manufacturers called for modified thinset. I have no experience with glass tile, so I'm not really sure what to advise. Does the tile manufacturer have any install specifications?
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LanterDan For This Useful Post:
joeg679 (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanterDan View Post
Schluter does call for either unmodified thinset mortar, or their proprietary All-Set or Fast-Set mortars. See here.

That said, I thought that many glass tiles manufacturers called for modified thinset. I have no experience with glass tile, so I'm not really sure what to advise. Does the tile manufacturer have any install specifications?

I missed that it was glass, in that case he needs white.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BIG Johnson For This Useful Post:
joeg679 (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanterDan View Post

Thanks for the replies. They are glass tiles and for the Ditra, on the floor, I used modified thinset. The Kerdi calls for unmodified to set tile in, but glass tile requires modified, so it looks like I'll have to use modified.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #7

UPDATE: I just called Schluter and the guy told me that the use of modified thinset over Kerdi board is ok and will not effect the waterproofing properties. The only thing it will do is increase the curing time of the thinset. He said that he's seen instances where it takes a week to cure. So, if the only downside is curing time, then I'm ok with that. Thanks for your help guys.
Jaime296 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement