Shower Tile - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 11-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Aftet I got the main wall up I started the sides.. And realized I should have started with the sides... as you can see the sides are lower then the rest of it. Is there any way I can keep the pattern going?

The only two options I see is to cut sides by half but it will not have same pattern as the main wall or tear the main wall down and start over... any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Tile-20181124_154415_1543104355052.jpg   Shower Tile-20181124_154357_1543104367166.jpg   Shower Tile-20181124_160710_1543104449887.jpg  
Jazrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,272

Re: Shower Tile

No offence, but subway pattern should be run horizontal - tear it out and make it right Mike - sorry

Also, do NOT end up with any small tiles anywhere around the surround - all it takes is some careful layout work up BEFORE you set the tiles to avoid any smalls - smalls are the sign of shoddy work
Mrbuilder and Guap0_ like this.
195795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,896

Where's the webbed tape over the seams?
No water proofing before installing the tile, Hmm.
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

How is it possible for the sides to be lower? Can't you shim them up higher? The bottom gap will be caulked anyways.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdiyer View Post
Also, do NOT end up with any small tiles anywhere around the surround - all it takes is some careful layout work up BEFORE you set the tiles to avoid any smalls - smalls are the sign of shoddy work
Do you have any write-ups you could reference? It will help me too as I'm about to start the tile on my own shower.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 917

UGH!! Tile jobs are tricky as you have just discovered.
If I am interpreting the photo correctly, you have an issue where the wall is not perpendicular to the tub top. I think you will regret it if you try to cut tiny slivers of tile to stick in the gap as it widens away from the wall. How wide will the gap be at the far edge of the tub? A 1/2" caulk line is hard to make look good.
If you can afford the $$ and time, I would recommend starting the back wall over.
If not, (and this is a long shot) you could get creative with the bottom row on the sides and put some smaller tiles (4x4s maybe?) of different color as an accent and duplicate on both sides. Then you could cut both to fill the gap and keep the pattern.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret86844 View Post
Do you have any write-ups you could reference? It will help me too as I'm about to start the tile on my own shower.
The write-up is in my head - I've done dozens of tub, shower, backslash, fireplace surrounds, etc.

After you get all of your prep done - cement board (with proper screw patterns), CB fiberglass mesh seam tape (yes, it is different than regular drywall mesh tape), thinset (not drywall mud) to cover tape, and finally RedGard - it's really no more than starting with the measurements of area to be tiled and using them either in a spreadsheet or on a piece of paper with ruler to get the tiles just right. Transfer that to the actual area using a pencil (gently so you don't scratch through the RedGard) and you're ready to go.

For a bathtub surround I recently did I cut every 6x6 tile running along all of the edges so that they were all the same - looks nice.

Likewise, with the floor - there was a joint in the base trim that fell exactly in the middle of the floor, so I cut every 18x18 tile so that I had that grout line perfectly lined up with that joint in the base trim.

Sure, it takes extra time, effort, and additional material cost, but it's always the attention to detail that makes a job. Any hack can throw up tile, but a craftsman takes pride in his work.
The Following User Says Thank You to 195795 For This Useful Post:
Bret86844 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Sure, it takes extra time, effort, and additional material cost, but it's always the attention to detail that makes a job. Any hack can throw up tile, but a craftsman takes pride in his work.
Remember you are tiling your living space. Every time you walk in and look at it you will see every single flaw.
Also, once you finish your first tile job, you will find your eye drawn to little flaws in tile jobs everywhere.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #9

Quote:
No offence, but subway pattern should be run horizontal - tear it out and make it right Mike - sorry

Says who? Lots of examples of subway tile done vertical and diagonal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Where's the webbed tape over the seams. No water proofing before installing the tile, Hmm.

The only spot that doesn't have waterproofing is the furthest area away from the shower head, I figured it should be fine...but its not hard to add it on so I will. TY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret86844
How is it possible for the sides to be lower? Can't you shim them up higher? The bottom gap will be caulked anyways.

Tub isn't made straight? floor is off? (no idea) but the lines on the wall I marked is where the tile is supposed to sit and it starts of fine in the corner and drops half a inch by the end, and a half inch is a lot to caulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiraldude
If I am interpreting the photo correctly, you have an issue where the wall is not perpendicular to the tub top. I think you will regret it if you try to cut tiny slivers of tile to stick in the gap as it widens away from the wall. How wide will the gap be at the far edge of the tub? A 1/2" caulk line is hard to make look good.

This is my second time tiling ever btw...

I was thinking of cutting the pattern by half on both sides, but I am not sure how that would look (half of what I posted on the pictures, so it wont match the back wall). I thought about doing half inch pieces at the bottom but that would look even worse... maybe we will save a bit after the holidays and start over...

I did the small 2x4 subway tile in our other bathroom( that was a fun lesson in its own) and figured a bigger tile would be simpler.. But it has its own quirks that I need to learn the hard way! and I see ALL my flaws in the first bathroom I did every time I go in it :/

~before and after shot of the first bathroom~
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Tile-img_2018-08-21_09-13-43.jpg  
Bret86844 likes this.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:41 PM   #10

One thing I did with my last shower was to measure everything and put it in a CAD program so I could visualize the accent row I wanted to put in.
I used a free program called Sketchup which wasn't that hard to learn.
It won't help catch the subtle things like walls slightly out of plumb but it can help you see what it will look like if you shift the grid around for example.
Bret86844 likes this.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:50 AM   #11

How bad of a idea to just add a trim like so? It would hide the half inch gap...
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Tile-screenshot_20181127-234738_1543391372262.jpg  
Old 11-28-2018, 07:32 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazrek View Post
How bad of a idea to just add a trim like so? It would hide the half inch gap...
You should determine if your layout lines or the tub are not level and fix it. If you put a piece of trim to cover the gap, your eye will still be drawn to the out of level condition.
HDS likes this.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #13
HDS

Rewards Points: 318

Starting over is probably your best bet as you will always see that gap and things just won't line up right.

It seems strange that the tub is lower on the end vs the side. Is the opposite end also low? If not, check that the tub is level, etc...

As was mentioned, you should tape the joints and put up some water proofing membrane/paint. Grout is porous and it will wick water behind the tile.

Assuming everything is level and you start over, pick the lowest point to set your first full tile. Draw your line off that all the way around. That way you'll trim the bottoms off subsequent tiles when needed.

You could also screw in a ledger board to start. Hard to shim the bottom row against the tub and have a good support and not worry about slipping.

Oh, from a personal point of view, not really digging the vertical subway pattern. Plus it looks like you have skinny side pieces which always seem off to me.

One other tip, take your measurements and use tape on the floor and practice your layout. Had my garage floor taped off the size of the walls, with spout locations, etc... Laid the tiles out in multiple patterns so knew where grout lines would hit, centered spout, etc... Took more time than I would have liked, but got things looking nice on the end.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hds View Post

Oh, from a personal point of view, not really digging the vertical subway pattern. Plus it looks like you have skinny side pieces which always seem off to me.
...+1
Old 11-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS View Post
One other tip, take your measurements and use tape on the floor and practice your layout. Had my garage floor taped off the size of the walls, with spout locations, etc... Laid the tiles out in multiple patterns so knew where grout lines would hit, centered spout, etc... Took more time than I would have liked, but got things looking nice on the end.
Nice !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement