Should I Remove My Popcorn Ceiling Prior To Selling? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Should I remove my Popcorn Ceiling prior to Selling?

Hi, I currently own a condo in Missouri (value of about 150K) and am looking to sell it within the next few years. I want to start remodeling it so that it sells faster. I'm planning on doing all the labor myself so that I can generate some profit from the remodeling when the condo sells.

Anyways, my first task is to decide if I should remove the popcorn ceilings in the condo? What do you think? Do popcorn ceilings significantly devalue a property in the modern housing market?

Also, since I'm doing it myself I would need to ensure the popcorn ceiling is asbestos free. What is the best way to get it tested for asbestos? I've seen products that you can buy and test in your home yourself, and I've seen some companies where you can mail in sample and they test it for you. Anyone know of a specific product or mail-in company that gives accurate results for a reasonable price?

Thanks so much
Persistence10- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I think asking a local real estate sales person would be wise--

Popcorn ceilings are not popular here--If you were local,I would definitely remove or cover it---

It is often faster to overlay the popcorn with fresh drywall---how is your condo built?
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,578

it will take way more time to strip it than it will to simply go over it with a fresh layer of drywall and then tape.. reason being its takes quite a bit of time to scrape down popcorn ceilings and when your done the ceiling will need repairs. almost never do you come out with a flawless ceiling after scraping popcorn
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-13-2014), oh'mike (08-12-2014), Quahog (08-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
First Home N00b

Rewards Points: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I think asking a local real estate sales person would be wise--
Best advice in thread. It could be worth your time, it could be a complete waste of money. I absolutely detest popcorn ceilings but bought a house with them throughout because the price was right and it hit all my other bullet points.

After doing one room with popcorn ceiling (failed strip attempt), I can tell you that simply ripping down the drywall and replacing it was much faster, much cheaper, MUCH cleaner, and MUCH more enjoyable.
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #5

Okay, thanks for the information. I'll contact a real estate agent to see if it's worth it.

And I absolutely hate putting up drywall, so if I do end up replacing/removing the popcorn ceiling, I'm going to try the wet/scrape method first to see how it goes (hopefully it's not painted over). If it is really difficult, then I'll put up new drywall.

I still have to get it tested for asbestos just to be safe. The place was built in the late 70s or early 80s I believe.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistence10- View Post
Okay, thanks for the information. I'll contact a real estate agent to see if it's worth it.

And I absolutely hate putting up drywall, so if I do end up replacing/removing the popcorn ceiling, I'm going to try the wet/scrape method first to see how it goes (hopefully it's not painted over). If it is really difficult, then I'll put up new drywall.

I still have to get it tested for asbestos just to be safe. The place was built in the late 70s or early 80s I believe.
That's right about the transition era......

And if not painted sealed, scrapping may not be too bad.... but hard to know the level of finish under a popcorn.... sometimes as bad as firetape, sometimes as good as level three.

Best

(Edit: Look on the internet for testing.... I've got a local company who wants $250.... and a Fla legit company who does valid testing for postage and $25.... in about a week turnaround)

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 08-12-2014 at 09:51 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
First Home N00b

Rewards Points: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistence10- View Post

If it's on a ceiling, you better get some antidepressants to have on hand. It is some of the nastiest, smelliest, crappiest work you can do around a house. As much as you hate demo/install drywall, imagine now it's a wet, smelly drywall.
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 123

My husband and I scraped the popcorn off our ceiling at our first house. There were other things I find much more enjoyable to do, but it had to be done.

We had the time to tackle it on evenings, weekends and during naptime for our kids, so it really didn't seem too bad to me. It wasn't fun, and the neck/shoulder/arms definitely take the punishment if you have a lot to remove, but if you have the time to do it in bits and pieces, it's not miserable.

As to whether or not you should; all I can say is I never bought a property for the popcorn ceilings, but it never entirely dissuaded me either. Guess it depends on how quickly you want it to sell.
Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,770

and, believe it or not, some people LIKE popcorn ceilings, so, removing it might eliminate someone wanting to buy. Leave it, then if it's not selling and your getting feedback from potential buyers saying, "I would have bought it if it weren't for those &*^%$(# popcorn ceilings!" then make the change.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 454

I wouldn't think this would be a deal breaker on selling it.
I would put my money and labor into something more important
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. I talked to two real estate agents from my area on Zillow and one said that popcorn ceilings aren't a big deal and to not worry about removing it, while the other said that buyers typically hate them and you should always remove them... hahaha, doesn't really give me a clear idea of what the local market is thinking. I guess I'll just have to think about it.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 166

Some buyers may hate them, but your return-on-investment for removing them is probably not worth it.

Any buyer is going to have a list of little things they don't like about a house. They may still buy with a plan to fix it later.

Spend your time and money on curb appeal and keeping the house clean. Wait for buyers to ask for other fixes in the negotiation process.
dftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,472

Pop corn ceiling=asbestos=mold=hysteria=agent's likely response will be go ahead and do it.
It's been many years since these things have become issues, and I hoped people have learned some perspective. But that's my rant.

If the ceiling is in good condition, I would spend the time and money on other things. Landscaping gives a good first impression. Out dated kitchen and bathroom make the biggest impact.

I'm selling my house now. Market's really down, and I feel your anxiety, but there is a point where little improvements are just a waste of money. I think it's better to repair little damages that come from living in a house.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 454

Your not going to please everyone, like me and dad said, there is more important things you can spend time and money on. unless you have a too much time and money you need to part with
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #15

Considering the mixed advice I've been given by local real estate agents, I honestly am not motivated to remove the popcorn ceiling. It just isn't a rewarding job considering I don't really mind the look of the popcorn ceiling. I'd rather work on updating the bathroom, prettying up the kitchen, new paint, and installing new flooring. Those are things I'm actually interested and motivated to do. If I find the popcorn ceilings are affecting its sale when I put it on the market, then I'll remove it. Until then, I think I'm just going to focus on the other things. I'm still going to double check with some other real estate agents online to see what they think, but at this point I'm not very interested in doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement