DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Schluter shower tray adhere to subflooring

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  lug-nuts 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me a good reason not to use epoxy or construction adhesive, or some other adhesive meant for plastic to wood, when installing the Schluter shower tray to a plywood substrate? We are talking about attaching styrene to wood here. Why would I use mortar? And if you know to use mortar (thinset) from experience, please recommend a good brand/product. Thank you.

#2 ·
Why not download their guide and follow their directions? They know which compounds are not going to cause problems with their products' composition. For thinset I have used Versabond which is a fortified thinset. Great for laying Kerdi mat down on the subfloor and then adding tile to prevent cracking.

Reactions: firehawkmph
#4 ·
It is also important to provide the surface you want for the tile which includes the slope needed and direction for the slope to get water to flow readily to the drain.

#5 ·
Can you give me some information on your shower walls?
I am thinking about doing the Kerdi preformed pan and I am concerned that my old house will have movement and think that the kerdi walls might not be that great of a setup.

I was thinking Hardi board for the walls I'm not sure how they will join together to make a waterproof barrier.

#6 ·
Typically you put mesh tape on the seams and thinset over them. The tape reinforces the thinset so it doesnt crack. I usually dont worry about the joints leaking. There are several ways to add belt and suspenders to this application. One you could first staple up roofing felt everywhere the hardi backer goes. Next apply the mesh and thinset. You can even hit all the seams with a liquid waterproofing found in the tile section at your hardware store.

here's a pic of the seams done. I ran out of the gray thinset, thats why some of its white.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.