Root Invasion - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Root Invasion

I'm in the middle of making some updates to my kitchen and today it was time to replace the toe kicks, as they did not match the cabinets.

As best I can tell, the existing tow kicks are constructed from a piece of 1/2 inch ply, with a piece of white 1/4 inch ply over top. My intent was to replace the 1/4 inch ply with maple stained to match my cabinets.

I pulled off the existing 1/4 inch kick plywood, and behind one of them was a (tree?) root embedded into the 1/2 inch plywood

I live in an 1890's row home in Baltimore, and there's a large oak tree behind the neighbors house, planted maybe 12 feet off the corner where that cabinet is. The kitchen is built on top of what I thought was a slab, but now I'm thinking it may be a dirt floor.

In short, what do I do? Or probably more likely, who do I call? Is this something I should just immediately inform my homeowners insurance provider about?
Attached Thumbnails
Root Invasion-img_0001.jpg   Root Invasion-img_0002_2.jpg   Root Invasion-img_0003_2.jpg  
standmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,194

Quote:
Originally Posted by standmatt View Post
In short, what do I do? Or probably more likely, who do I call? Is this something I should just immediately inform my homeowners insurance provider about?
Wow, that's some serious root invasion. Other than the tree, is there anything else possibly growing near that area, like some shrubs, plants, etc., that can be relocated? Remove what you can for now, but try to investigate a little further and see exactly where they are coming from and eliminate it at the source.

Just a suggestion; Relocate/remove the tree or shrubs, before they cause more damage to your house/sewer pipes. If the tree belongs to your neighbor or city, try calling them to work out a solution.

You can try to talk to your homeowners insurance and explain to them the situation. But they probably won't cover it or do anything about it, other than make an official note of it on your record and tell you it's your responsibility. Sorry I wasn't much help to you. Let's see what others reccommend.

Last edited by jmon; 01-13-2014 at 11:47 AM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,550

There are a couple of things (words) I've learned in life that suggest there has been or currently is a water leak in that area. Tree roots and kitchen. Good grief Fairview, howd ya get so knowledgeable.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 01-13-2014 at 06:24 AM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,912

Time to start pulling out those cabinets and find what's going on.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,642

Exterior shots?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (01-13-2014), jmon (01-13-2014), rossfingal (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #6

Yeah! -
cabinets out -
floor up!
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Wow, that's some serious root invasion. Other than the tree, is there anything else possibly growing near that area, like some shrubs, plants, etc., that can be relocated? Remove what you can for now, but try to investigate a little further and see exactly where they are coming from and eliminate it at the source.

Just a suggestion; Relocate/remove the tree or shrubs, before they cause more damage to your house/sewer pipes. If the tree belongs to your neighbor or city, try calling them to work out a solution.

You can try to talk to your homeowners insurance and explain to them the situation. But they probably won't cover it or do anything about it, other than make an official note of it on your record and tell you it's your responsibility. Sorry I wasn't much help to you. Let's see what others reccommend.
Nothing closer than the tree...I'll have to discuss taking it down with the neighbors, because its in their yard

Quote:
There are a couple of things (words) I've learned in life that suggest there has been or currently is a water leak in that area. Tree roots and kitchen. Good grief Fairview, howd ya get so knowledgeable.
Agreed, that's the first thing I thought. No signs of any water damage when I moved into the house a year ago, but the wood under the sink looks newer than the rest of the cabinets, so maybe it was replaced some time ago after a leaky sink (this toe kick is on the cabinet immediately next to the sink cabinet)

I pulled up the wood under the sink and no water, or roots under there.

This weekend my plan is to pull the wood out of the bottom of the affected cabinet, and pull the tow kick all the way off, and try to figure out what's going on without completely pulling the cabinets out.

Quote:
Exterior shots?
I'll get some this weekend when I can get daytime shots
standmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to standmatt For This Useful Post:
jmon (01-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement